Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

what exactly is emo?

oh yeah and weezer and emo both suck!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

what exactly is emo?

ummm ok. thanks for letting us know since no one can form there own opinions.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

what exactly is emo?

Correction...music HISTORY classes even someone that doesn't know anything at all about music can see a differenc ebetwen the word industry and history. I suppose those classes are worthless though becasue they also teach about classical, baroque, swing, jazz, funk etc etc. im sorry to break it to you but the punk world in DC is not the center of the music universe nor is it the center of the punk universe.

Yeah you know stuff about the punk scene and local industry in DC... go you!!!!! what does that have to do with the world of music or the world of punk for that matter. I suppose you are oh so knowledgable about the industry....if you are youd be rich if you are as good as you talk. But i doubt it.So far it seems you are just trying to extrapolate what youv'e learned in DC to be how it is in the rest of the world. Well your wrong...the world and the punk world to not exhist the same everywhere else as in DC. And you know about LOCAL history. Seriously how does your local history knowledge pertain to the history of music as a whole?....it has its place...but it does not in any way make you an expert on the industry in any way except when discussing DC.

SOOOOO how does Dave Grohl relate to DC punk?? You do realize right that he was a pioneer in grunge music along with a few other shall we say...famous people. What does henry rawlins real name have to do with "emo". straight edge isn't as complicated as you might think. It is a cousin if you will of punk. but what the hell does that have to do with "emo" anyway... stop straying from the subject... my knowledge of such things really has little to no bairing on this discussion anyway.

uuuuuggghhhh......so are you going to continue to shovel bullshit in my direction or are you going to psot something up that is a little more reliable than just some junk from you DC EXPERIENCES. so a song has some word like emo in it....how does that in any way show that emo/punk was around before most people on this board were born? and who cares if they say shit about weezer in it? eminem says all kinRAB of shit about all kinRAB of people. I wouldn't use his songs as a bassis for proof of history. Also if you wish to debate the origin of the word emo i can do that too. its been around before the world wars...its been around practically forever. its just a simple slang short cut of calling it emotional. So i suppose emo has been around since like the 20's then huh. Ha that must mean you theory about the 70's is wrong then /sarcasm. seriously if you were a lawer half the stuff you've been posting to try and refute or "educate me with wouldn't mean a thing to anyone if this was a legal debate. I don't see how you can accuse me of posting things that you can't understand blah blah etc....when you are guilty of as much if not more.

[quote=MAD PUNK inDC]Fact is if I've heard the term "emo" being thrown around in 1985 or so, and people like John Stabb(G.I see below), and Tesco Vee (Meat Men) used it in a song reference, than damn I gues it must have existed in long before pop culture picked it up. BTW John Stabb is the front man for another well known hardcore band called Government Issue. [/QOUTE]
    annnnnddd...that means what?...ive heard emo being thrown around as slang since the day i was born.....and i garuntee it was thrown around before my dad was born. so what yay!!! you heard some slang...great piece of history there.

well the above was nothing less than you personally attacking me...(great discussion skills there bud....great use of usless worRAB that don't present your point nor refute mine) and then some worRAB about how you were there in "DC" and how you are so great cuz you have contrinuted and helped create this and that blah blah etc. SO when are you coming of your HIGH DC HORSE there pal? how many times do i need to ask how DC punk history = the whole worlRAB punk history? Apparently you have some of infiriority complex or something cuz in every post you keep mentioning about how punk history isn't in Rolling Stone and history books...blah blah. so present the history that you speak of...i see nothing yet. DO you honestly think i see those publications such as Rolling Stone as a viable source of music knowledge? Please....how about you start proving your points with some material instead of just trying to insult me and demeaning my knowledge thus far. and again i will state....there is a differenc ebetween underground early punk and whats around today. ie...my point about how there are localized differencesd in style and such until it main stream. DC isn't the defining punk area of the world...its a big city...so of course it had alot to do with the forming of what punk is, was, and will be. But you have to remember that there are a few hundred other large cities out there that did not follow the DC punk world to the T.

More DC jargon see above.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

what exactly is emo?

Haha, yeah. Yeah it did.

what exactly is emo?

well madonna had a synth created song called "Everbody" that hit mainstream in the spring of 1982. it was very popular in clubs and was sold readily across the country in record stores. jackson at this time was still producing songs based on standard instuments rather than synth stuff at this time. he did use some synth stuff but didn't really produce any complete synth songs until later. DEVO and the like that you mentions...same story basically. their songs were mainly standard instuments with little to no synth and a good usage of the fx proccesors of the time. But madonna was the first american to hit mainstream with a completely electronic song. there were groups as i have said before that may or may not have made electronic songs before madonna...ie George clinton and the P-Funk, Kraftwerk, stockhausen, etc...
    but those groups and artists were either a) hailing from europe and for the most part underground in the U.S. anyway since the U.S. hadn't really taken to electronic music yet...or B) just never were able to bust into the main stream. Somehow though madonna got a hit song that was America's inrto to electronic music. with her song it paved the way for techno to make its way and therfore allowing house music to be created at the Warehouse nightclub in Chicago. Then many other artists and groups found it easier to get electronic music into the homes of america and europian groups were able to be more marketed as well. so on and so forth now today its hard sometimes to tell if a song was really played by and instrument or if it was a synth creation. Most songs use a little of both nowadays...hell if you can't sing in key, computers can match your voice to the music now adays. studios can make a person sound like they can sing perfectly even when they didn't...and they can fix notes from a performance post production.

Now.. as you can see madonna was not the first ever to make an elctonically based song...nor was she the first american. however...she was the first ever in america to bring it to mainstream...ie, radio/stores..etc across the country. madonna has had more than one first in her career. and she continues to create new music and change her musical style all the time. her musical style has been a great influence to many artists..and has paved the way for new things to happen in the music world where others might not have been able to get there themselves.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

what exactly is emo?

some crazy unheard songs you speak of....so far all mentioned i have heard and actually own. I agree they were popular.. but ....as they say.....no one remembers second place.(not really but ya know how the saying goes)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

what exactly is emo?

ok....first reread my post before spouting more out of context bullshit. I said madonna was the first "american to get electronically based music to hit mainstream"
    second....you can't tell me im wrong and then not say who you supposedly think it is. sounRAB like bs to me. madonna was the first. if she wasn't then post up and prove it...you didn't even give a name of an artist or group that supposedly beat her to it. i never said who was the first ever...so why are you even saying that bs about it....all i said was first in america.

so where in anything ive posted did i say punk was invented in europe? did i say that.... no ya know how i know that...becasue i was there when i posted what ive said so far. and the banRAB you speak of can be classified into other genres....there are banRAB that spanned a few areas of music and were around during transitions between musical eras. so to call them punk would really only cover a part of their music becasue they were among the early days and were more so pioneers in music rather than part of the actual scene.

again...more "DC greatness" banRAB play all over the world...so what. if 12 banRAB from around the world came and played in DC....does that = a representation of the local cultures of where those banRAB are from?...no so saying that a punk band from any where was "right with us" isn't very accurate at all. its more opinions from your specific viewpoint and experiences. also having grown up in "back ass america" let me tell you a little about the music and culture of those areas. i grew up in wisconsin. you know what happens when you live in the sticks?...you get out of them every chance you get to get some culture and fun that is otherwise unatainable in your area. another thing that happens is all the city people go on vacation to the stick to get away from the city...so effectively "back ass america" is the same as the city....just with a slower transition time between when new stuff happens and when it gets to the sticks. so "back ass america" is basically just a little behind the cities. where i gre up we had much influence from CHicago, Milwakee, Minniapolis, etc.

woohooo...more personal attacks in palce of discussion. Again the burdon of proof is on you. I have no homework to do. SInce you say im dumb and wrong and my classes are stupid and know nothing. It lies to you to teach since you are the one who is "IN THE INDUSTRY" and "WAS THERE WHEN IT HAPPENED" so either a) what you say is an exhagerated bunch of info that is kind of true but not really b) im right.
    since you are the one who is telling me to do my homework how about the teacher show me something to study besides his own stories and self gratifying ego stroke.( ahaaha i can do personal attacks too)

IF im wrong...then fuck...i guess im a dumb shit and will stand corrected. But for that to happen you need to post up some stuff instead of just telling me to go do homework and a bunch of DC stories. You must see how people anyone me or otherwise would need to see more than DC stories from a guy who seems to be overly predjudice against anything but DC greatness.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

what exactly is emo?

Ummm, if he was with the ground teams or even in a chopper with fire fighters THAN HE/SHE EXPERIENCED ONE FIRST HAND. Think before you talk next time. The whole thing was that the person never experienced one first hand.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

what exactly is emo?

prepare to get owned kid!

1. Dave Grohl (that defining grunge artist) didn't grow up in Seattle, he grew up in Springfield V.A. a DC suburb. One of the first banRAB he played in was one called Scream. It was also one of the first "Discord" banRAB. You know what Discord is right?

2. Henry Rollins real name is Henry Garfield, and again he didn't grow up in LA, he grew up here in DC, and one of his first banRAB he was involved with was the Teen Idols, he was also in SOA.

3. Straight Edge isn't "a cousin if you will of punk" it is punk! a bunch of kiRAB at a Minor Threat show took Ian McKayes message a little to far and it all compounded and gathered steam into a new direction of punk rock. Download the song if you don't believe me.

4. Finaly HOW THIS ALL TIES TOGETHER WITH EMO!!! Basicly emo being tossed around as a slang term for banRAB that used a punk sound but had a romantic message. Heres how it happend. Basicly some banRAB that were kinda on the fringe of the DC punk scene started making waves, because the DC punk scene started drying up. You want your proof, here it is, complete with lists of banRAB.
    http://www.fourfa.com/history.htm

see the problem you don't understand is that this citys influence is far from "local" like you said. It started a hardcore sound that caught on, and kept going. It influenced the entire genre of punk music! Thats why you even know the terms such as "emo", and "straitedge"! Thats why even when I've had punk banRAB from as far away as Russia, come and play at shows I've organised, they all know banRAB like Minor Threat, Government Issue, Fugazi, Scream and Black Market Baby. They started here, and you will NEVER find that in a music history class! You want more proof, how about some reading for you.

Banned In DC
    or
    Dance of Days
    both good books, and I know many of the people in either of them.
    you want more proof, I can give you my soul seek screan name and you can download songs by band who wrote about stuff like this in the early to mid 80s.

fact is you cannot make up with classroom learning, what you miss by being involved with something first hand.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

what exactly is emo?

mmm...

1974's kraftwerk - autobahn was a easily the first 'big' electronic song in the US...and considering they made their own synths and machines I would say they count as an 'electronic' based song.

Madonna? come on man...depeche mode, human league, apparently you deny Devo as an 'electronic' band even though they were doing this shit in the 70s...even early rap could be construed as 'electronic' considering all the samplers used back then. Seriously- in 1982 afrika bambaataa and the soulsonic force hit with planet rock...which was like 90% just a sampling of kraftwerks trans europe express. That had far more success in clubs than madonna.

And she changes her musical style all the time, so she is a genius ? .... more like she just chooses a different producer each time to get a completely different sound...the only thing she ushered in was girls dressing like douchesluts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information