Okay, I like need an example paragraph for this story I'm trying to write. I need just like the beginning paragraph, something that would grab the reader's attention & keep them reading. I would of course change it into my own words I just need an example as to what the reader's would like most & something to give me a little motivation. Okay, now for a little info. I don't have everything worked out but here's the basics.

The story revolves around a teenage girl. She's been physically, verbally & emotionally abused her entire life. Since she was a child she's known that she was "different". To deal with this she bottles everything up until it becomes to much to handle, at which point she physically harms herself. When she is 17 a man approaches her & tells her that she has to choose who lives, her or her family. She chooses her family & he takes her, he tortures her the whole time he has her. I'm still working on the various ways in which he does so. Anyway, he has her for about a month or so & then he drags her out to a spot in the ocean that is known to be surrounded by sharks by the locals. She is so weak that she can barely crawl & then he makes her watch as he steps back to the edge of the cliff, cuts both his wrists & then his throat after which he falls off the cliff. She was there for a while until eventually she is found & brought back to her house. Then there's going to be some conflict as her family finds out about her sexuality & identity. There's going to be some romance & tragedy.

I kind of want the ending to be happy but not like fairytale happy, I want it to be on the realistic side. I'm thinking of leaving the ending open, so the readers can interpret it however they feel. The running theme is pain & sadness as that is what she feels almost entirely throughout the book. The few times she does find happiness it is short lived & taken away. The only exception to this is at the end of the book where she finally finds someone who understands how she feels & at the end of the book she is making it, she's okay & she's living her life one day at a time. Also, her physical appearance is pale skin, a petite to average frame, dark black hair & grey eyes that color shift to blue or green sometimes.

That's my idea for now. It's slightly based off of my friend. The character will have pretty much the same appearance as her & most of the background is also based off her. Of course there are some major differences but like I said it's slightly based off her. So, can you help me out a little? Give me an example paragraph, something that would grab your/ the reader's attention. I just need an example so I can get the motivation I need to get rid of this writer's block. I just can't start it, every time I try I get stuck & can't continue it. The starting point is always the part I have trouble coming up with. So, now I'm asking you to help me out a bit. Thanks.