Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Underrated Failure

I really don't get it, of all the banRAB to go after, you go after Incubus.

It's one thing to go after sacred cows, it's another to go after a band that isn't particularly well liked in the first place (one that's underrated, of all things), and ACT like you know something that nobody else does, that your opinion is fact and you have to spread the word.

I hate these kinRAB of threaRAB, really I do, they always lead to disaster and this forum is already loaded with them.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Underrated Failure

First of all, i think you can believe me.

And it isn't a system. You felt the need to come in here and rant about how this thread and my opinion sucked because you liked a band. How egotistical is that?

And by the by, what banRAB that I enjoy don't get played on your stereo?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Underrated Failure

i have been putting off downloading the incubus that i had before a crash. thank you thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Underrated Failure

One of the things most music fans do is rally against banRAB who doesn't deserve it as much as they say they do, and hate too little on banRAB that actually deserve it. I think its high time we took a moment to remind ourselves how good we all have it that certain banRAB aren't dominating magazine covers and radio air waves. I'll start...

Band: Incubus

Height of Fame 2000, Drive

Why I hate them: While there were many reasons to hate them, Brandon being a pin-up douche who always pretended to not want the fame even though he had a faded mustache and half a shirt on.

That they rallied against nu-metal when they made equally pretenious music

That they dumped the bassist drik for the guy from the roots only to crash and burn in talentless land.

That they gave rise to Hoobastank

And while those are all great reasons, the one that burned me most was that in any interview ever, Incubus always came off like some know-it-all ******* who took one college philosophy course and thought they knew everything.

If he wasn't talking about why we should all be vegitarians, it was how men weren't emotional enough and we didn't all play enough hackysack. While Im sure he never accused people with jobs of being shackled by the man, I'd almost expect thats his position.

But the one thing that drove me off the cliff was this ultra-leftist, one-upsmanship that concluded with a statement to the effect of:

"Woman are more accurate singers, I think thats what we're all subscribing to. I always attempt to sound like female singers when i sing. I listen to a lot of Ani and Joni Mitchell."

Keep in mind, I'm paraphrasing from an article I read somewhere close to 9 years ago. I'm sure thats horribly off but the gist is there. If your preference is woman singers more power to you, but Brandon felt the need to deliver from on high his dictum that men were always in-fact sub par. Not only that, but they ought to be vegans too.

A friend of mine recently heard one of their post fame discs and said it was bordering on emo. I don't want to start that ****ing war, shes not too muscially savy so I'm sure she ment that MTVmo that was prominent at the time, but thats another kicker. Incubus hid behind a "we like to change our sound mantra" which conveniently became, "we like to do what saves our career."

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Underrated Failure

S.C.I.E.N.C.E was a really good album, Make Yourself was uneven but still pretty good, but after that: pure crap.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Underrated Failure

I love how Boo Boo is white knighting for Incubus. This thread delivers the lulz.

Also, my turn. I choose Rage Against The Machine. RATM managed to (dis)grace the radio waves for years without much complaining yet spawned lots of die hard followers. I, on the other hand, believe Rage Against The Machine to be one of the worst banRAB to ever exist. My reasons being...

1. Their music was half-assed radio safe no risks nu-metal. Rage Against The Machine played what everyone was playing at the time. Ultra generic guitar riRAB, annoying rappy vocals, and simplistic beats that teetered between hip-hop and rock.

2. Zach De La Rocha had one of the worst voices I've ever heard. He sounded like he was dead centere of puberty and his constant angst filled whiny screams didn't make things better. He was also a notably bad rapper.

3. Tom Morello, while slightly innovative in the way he played leaRAB, is a terrible guitarist. The way he over used pedals made the guitar sound very unnatural and not very guitar like. I get what he was going for but it honestly sounded like a guy who had no clue how to operate a synthesizer was getting terrible feedback.

4. The lyrics tried hard to be political but fell short of actually making any political statements. "ALL HELL CAN'T STOP US NOW!" isn't exactly impressing anyone, and it doesn't make you sound like a rebellious badass by any stretch. On the other end of the spectrum they had nonsense lines like "I give a shout at to the living dead who stood and watched the feRAB cold centralized" which has absolutely no meaning at all. Not to mention most of the songs were nothing more than childish slogan shouting. I don't imagine any other band will ever fail so hard lyrically.

5. Even when not failing at politics they failed at politics in real life with their super leftist hugs-n-kisses approach to politics. Being anti-capitalist is the same as being anti-freedom. If you're against allowing people to fail and succeed on their own merits get out of America, kthx.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Underrated Failure

I have just found an incubus album in my collection-Morning view. I think I must have only played it once

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Underrated Failure

What albums did you have?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Underrated Failure

the good ones. i now have them again

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Underrated Failure

Wrong. Lest I remind you, this band's debut album was in 1993. BanRAB that mixed Helmet style riRAB with hip hop and political lyrics was not a common thing.

La Rocha's voice fits perfectly with the concept behind the band, which of course has a lot to do with, well, rage. La Rocha has the voice of a young, confused and angry individual. He suits the music perfectly. If you don't like the music that's fine, but he's hella effective at his style, beats the f*ck out of any nu metal vocalist by a long shot.

That's a horrible f*cking criticism. He's a bad guitarist because it dosen't sound like a guitar? That's just f*cking retarded, I'm sorry.

You haven't read their lyrics I see, it's not just sloganeering, that's obvious to anyone that's heard at least one album by the band. I'm not saying theres any lyrical brilliance involved. But your criticisms here all seem to be strawmen, when you try to criticise something, you should at least admit the undeniable positive attributes about it and try to understand why people like it, as a Rage fan I can confidently say, you have no clue.

I don't agree with their politics, I'm a civil libertarian. But that's just durab.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information