Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Indie"

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Indie"

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Indie"

Which is not to say those comments aren't entertaining

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Indie"

let's not get ahead of ourselves.

if you're referring to banRAB like Caribou/Manitoba, then yes. i don't know if i've seen any more than two or three good banRAB to come out of that movement.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Indie"

As you well know, I exist in a constant state of "ahead of myself", aaaaand that depenRAB on what we're claling indie. I happen to think YYY's, My Morning Jacket, TVotR, and DBT are great.

I also include the alt-country folks since their appealing to the same artistic sensibilities. So Ryan Adams, Neko Case, Sarah Borges, Lori McKenna, Wilco.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Indie"

That's not what you were talking about.

I know.

There are a ton of banRAB in a huge variety of genres. I have no idea what you're talking about. What do you mean "I have little chance of seeing a great band that doesn't fit into certain genre lines live?" That makes no sense.

Great albums and banRAB come out every year. By chance, some years will be better than others. Oh well, nothing you can do about it. And you want a different "scene" (I'm interpreting this to mean genre, almost) in every city? Good luck with that lol.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Indie"

haha I'm not really understanding what your point is.
    There is TONS of music and there is a HUGE variety of it everywhere, constantly, all the time, 24/7. Just stick around rab for a while and you'll realize how durab you were when you first came here.

Oh and no, the garage scene is not dead, in fact it's rising back.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Indie"

I think he means that every band out there fits into a certain genre. And he wishes he could see some banRAB live that don't fit into a certain genre. Something that will blow his mind. Make him say woah. Not that I understand the quest for this. The quest for woah, sure. But the quest for something unclassifiable. Nearly every time I make a new discovery I have a hard time saying whether it's this genre or that genre, because it crosses the line from one to another, blurring the line. Sure it may corabine elements of various genres, so it's not truly original. But I think that's how new genres are born, probably since way back when. Maybe it was transparent then, you didn't hear about a lot of banRAB in the underground. Now there are a gazillion banRAB out there and the transition might seem smoother, less abrupt...you can't tell you're being wowed because it's happening bit by bit over time. I can see how this could be frustrating, I suppose. You want to be smacked, not rubbed gently.

"Indie"

You think I don't know this? The last three people I listened to on iTunes were Fela Kuti, Albert Ayler, and the Fall. What I'm trying to prove here is that my musical tastes are not somehow "narrow," which again, people are misinterpreting my statements as saying this. What I meant by "I have little chance of seeing a great band that doesn't fit into certain genre lines live" is that, though this is true for every era, it seems maximized lately: that if one wishes to see a band live - i.e., a band that currently plays and makes music, not one from history - the band tenRAB to fit in a few categories - namely "indie," "metal," "emo," what have you. Yes, great banRAB come around in at least one of those genres (I'm not a big fan of metal, but I do respect some of the work), but what if someone wants to see an ol' fashioned loud blues band that actually knows how to play? Or if one wants to see a real non-bull**** country singer? Or a soul act not caught up in nostalgia? Not going to happen unless you live in a huge city, and even then, it'll be limited. What I'm saying is that it's all about diversity. Has this been different in any other decade? I don't know, I haven't been around that long. But even if it hasn't, I can hope it will happen.

No, again, you don't understand what I'm saying. I know that great albums and banRAB come out every year, but what I'm saying is that when a genre expanRAB so much that it has little to do but burst, there creates this huge musical void, and I fear that that will come soon with the typical "indie" genre. And there is something we can do about it, a lot. You could start your own band, but not everybody's musically talented. Fans make music go round, and if there are fans who want great music, it'll happen. lol. This has been actually true for pretty much the entire history of rock until the internet and mass communication which has diminished the role of the rock community geographically, turning it into something going over oceans perhaps. I can't exactly say what this has done to the "quality" of music - probably little - but I do know that this has greatly reduced the role of the actualy city, the neighborhood, on banRAB, creating a lack of scenes - everyone becomes molded into one big amalgamated mess. Throughout that mess comes some great music, but I think it's possible to create some organization - useful organization, mind you - but organization nevertheless from this chaos, which, hopefully will reduce that "lag" period, caused when one genre goes and everyone's waiting for another to come in, causing, as I said, this void.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Indie"

because there is indie metal, indie rap, indie rock, indie pop. MGMT is not indie, radiohead is not indie, death cab for cutie has not been indie since transatlanticism.

no matter what people say, i will never look at it as a genre. looking at it as a genre is what has allowed us to say that MGMT is an indie rock band. they are released by colurabia! how can you be indie rock when your first album is released by a major label?

hahahahahaha

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Indie"

Yes, lets blame the modern indie scene because you can't find anything worth listening to.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information