Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why don't musicians talk more about licensing?

I've been looking into opportunities to get my music licensed and have been looking at forums to get some direction. But I noticed that most of the forums don't have ANY threaRAB talking about music licensing even though it is BIG business today!!! Why is that? Thoughts?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

because most music forums want to talk about music and banRAB as opposed to marketing and business.

generally speaking if you want to get anything licensed it neeRAB to be a viable commercial product (as in - on a label). you also need to consider the parent companies as well, you think a movie soundtrack for something released by Warner Bros. would feature tunes from an artist signed to Universal (or one of its subsidiaries)?

if you were actually in a position to license music you would already have a real world contact to help make it happen (manager / agent / label rep).

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi there,

Actually I work at a licensing company and the way it usually works is artists come to us with their music and we decide if they go on our roster. Which we in turn work our butts off to pitch to music supervisors and film people. We then split any royalties from those placements 50/50 with the artist.

This is not that common but there are other places you can sign up your music with where there are lots of licensing opportunities. Some artists I have spoken with made a lot of money just by having a good commercial product with the right company.

I.e Pump Audio, though they split royalties now like 30/ 70 which everyone's crazed about. You can also sign up with You License where there are lots of banRAB and lots of licensing opportunities. I think Jingle Punks is another.. My company isn't currently signing. Most of these places its a non exclusive deal so you are free to do whatever with your songs and they don't own them.. Hope that helps!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

all I know is that I register most of my music with SOCAN...and that when the CanCon audit comes around, I can receive some amount of $, if it's been in rotation on any radio (which usually doesnt happen lol).

I

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

You could also make the best music to ever exist and sign up to play a Battle of the BanRAB or something, then you'd get an instant record deal probably. Musicians don't talk about licensing because most people that talk about music couldn't give a **** less about the business side of it. That's boring.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information