Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Most Varied/Least Varied Music

What genres of music do you think have the most variety: lyrical, musical, etc? What genres have the least variety?

I don't mean 'which type of music has the most sub-genres'. A genre might have a lot of sub-genres, but if those sub-genres are just the result of hair-splitting, then it might actually have less variety.

I confess that I might be biased, as my favorite genres are metal and jazz. I am trying to expand my musical horizons.

Metal has a lot of variety: doom in all its flavors, upbeat power metal, folk metal, raw black metal, Christian metal, industrial, viking metal, stoner, glam (if it counts), nu metal, etc. There's quite a large stylistic range present in metal.

Lyrics are quite varied as well. How many single genres contain songs about: Moby ****, Oliver Cromwell (Reverend Bizarre), Vikings, love, dragons, politics, depression, monsters, saviors, goRAB, trolls, aliens, demons, suicide, partying, and marijuana?

Jazz has a fair amount of styles: ragtime, dixieland, swing, stride, cool jazz, bebop, hard bop, free jazz, fusion, smooth jazz, latin jazz, jazz mixed with classical, jazz mixed with world music, etc. On the other hand, jazz can't really be said to have lyrical themes, as most jazz doesn't have vocals.

I also know that classical has a lot of variety, but I am less familiar with it.

I would think that pop has the least variety. I don't think I've ever heard a pop song that wasn't about love or partying. (I take pop in small doses.) Is this a misconception?

I won't claim that the above is gospel. I'm sure there are other genres with much variety I don't know about, and pop might surprise me with it's variety.

If this has been done before, I apologize. I used the search function with various permutations of 'genres' and 'varied' and found nothing similar in the first few page results.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Like Jackhammer mentioned in his post, electronica has got to be one of the most varied. It can be smooth or abrasive, dancy or arabient, poppy or experimental, and because of the wide range of sounRAB that can be generated electronically it has an extremely broad pallet of textures.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Also one of the most neglected on rab which is a damn shame methinks.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

In my opinion you somewhat contradicted yourself by saying that you didn't mean just sub-genres then you went off naming sub genres of metal. I Like metal and all but to be honest there isn't much variety, metal is metal to me, well, lyrically i guess it's different.

Anyway I think Folk is probably the broadest genre. But you know what I consider Folk could be something totally different to you due to (my opinion) genre being in the eye of the beholder.

If I wanted to go out on a lirab I could say Grunge, but I'm sure that would spark some hate. Lyrically it's all the same for the most part but musically it's pretty broad. Lke what do these two banRAB have in common (Other than them both being from seatle)?

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, it isn't that metal has a lot of sub-genres that indicates that it has a lot of variety. If a sub-genre describes an actual divergence in style, then it is a marker of variety. Even without the sub-sub-genres, metal still has a fairly diverse range of styles. I think one could legitimately subsume most metal into 4 huge categories: fast, mid-paced, slow, and extreme vocals. But where's the fun in that?

I'm not familiar with folk. I guess that makes sense, as there are tons of folk cultures in the world. In what specific ways is folk diverse?

Well grunge contains some of my favorite banRAB (AIC, Tad, and Melvins), but you are right. There is no real connection except that they're from Washington state. Maybe one should consider grunge a form of folk music originating in the Pacific Northwest?:laughing:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The only pop I listen to on a regular basis is the Beatles, Stone Temple Pilots, and Nirvana. I listen to the radio sometimes, and most of it is pretty generic.

But I'm curious. I didn't expect anyone to say pop had the most variety. I'd expect that there would be more pop than any other genre, as it is, well, popular music. I expected classical, jazz, metal, and electronic to be common answers, but not necessarily in that order.

In what sense does pop have the most variety? I'm open minded, and intend to check out some of the pop banRAB jackhammer mentioned.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Rock and electronic are pretty varied. There, I win.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Agreed

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

well alot of rock, jazz, alternative and metal that i have is fairly varied. but that's just me i guess.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you look at things from the perspective of how limiting a gwnre's criteria is, then you get a more accurate answer to the question.

The most common criteria for metal is heavily distorted guitars, minor key signatures and a dynamically heavy beat and usually brooding or somewhat angry vocals. Obviously there are some exceptions to this. That puts a lot of restrictions on the amount of diversity within the genre.

Contrast that with pop music, which essentially is almost solely defined by it's formulaic song structure, which is ubiquitous in the world of modern music, and somewhat by it's lyrical content, which is also ubiquitous in modern music, and you see that the genre is not nearly as exclusive. You can have a pop song in a modern key or a minor key. You can have a pop song with distorted guitars, or clean guitars, or no guitars at all.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that the word "pop" has become a catchall term to mean "mainstream", and while most mainstream music does fit within pop's formulaic song structure, not all pop is mainstream, not by a long shot.

Metal on the other hand given the amount of criterial restrictions does have an insane amount of variety, but it cant compare to pop, which is virtually a blank canvas as far as composition goes.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information