Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Idea : The Album Club! But how to do it?

Hey guys

I was thinking I'd like to be a meraber of an album club the way you could be a meraber of a book club. Like every week, you read a book and then you get together for coffee and cakes to discuss what you've read. Well, that's how book club ladies do it on the telly. How about changing the books for albums?

Of course I thought something like that would be easy to accomplish on rabroad and, indeed, this has been done before. However, as far as I know, the most recent thread that was dedicated to this has since died. A reason could be that listening to one album a week is an undertaking and for many of us, there are certain things we don't want to dedicate a lot of time to. If you thought the last three "album club" home assignments were awful, listening to the next three might not seem so tempting.

Anyhow, I thought it should be possible to redo this album club idea and find a way to keep things interesting for the participants. My basic idea was to make one thread for each album the club discusses, but I'm unsure of how to keep things interesting .. so I'm turning to you guys. Hopefully, some of you think this sounRAB like it might be fun and can come up with some good ideas on how to do things.

Here are some example ideas from me on how albums could be chosen :

• Every club "meraber" (participant) suggests one album and then we do a poll over the suggestions to find which album will be the coming week's home assignment
    • Instead of one album, you get to choose between two or three - f.ex the top 2 or 3 from a poll like suggested above or perhaps top selections from some specific genres - and thus get to focus on the one you think is most interesting
    • The album club could be genre or decade specific, f.ex the "jazz fusion album club", the 70s rock club or one where merabers discuss only "obscure" releases. Possibly, there could be several such clubs operating in different forums

Usually, my ideas are a little more polished before I vent them to you guys, but I think potential participants' input will be important here, so .. What do you guys think? Would you participate? What's the best way to go about it?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

If I didn't think it was going to be the same bull**** suggestiong you see everywhere of the "classic" albums I'd be interested.

But the idea of sitting through Wire's Pink Flag or some horse**** by Black Flag makes me want to go shoot up some hipster tools in Carabridge.

^ I don't mind accepting reality lol.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I didn't mean to officially announce threaRAB/clubs to be dead if they aren't :

If you get'em going again, perhaps you could benefit from some of the suggestions hopefully generated by this thread.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wat? Pink Flag is the biz. But I agree I wouldn't want to same old usual suspects. The last music club thread that was active (first link in my post) was pretty focused on lesser-known stuff.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

SounRAB pretty good to me Tore: my suggestion would be making just one club which changes genre on a weekly basis in order to cover all the bases and draw in as many different people as possible. After a particular musical category is chosen, then you could make the polls for specific album choices and whatnot.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think that's why the poll thing is a good idea you don't vote for theclassics if anyone nominates them.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I really like your idea! I'd participate.

I think the best way to keep it "fresh" is to have maybe 2 or 3 options for us to pick from and review.......like, all different in sound or genre. It'd make things interesting. And maybe it should be encouraged to try and pick the album choice you'd normally NOT listen to? I know that'd make it interesting to me. I don't normally listen to country, and so having a Garth Brooks album as 1 of the picks would be something new to me......even if I still don't end up liking that type of music/artist/band/whatever/etc./etc.

.........BUT I could see people complaining about the selections because they are not willing to choose something they would normally not listen to.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Perhaps a category/genre club with a non-category optional album per week?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information