Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Definitve List: Most Overrated Bands\Artists ever

bummer, the way the board is set up it removes the thoughts you responded to. I PROMISE you a sincere response that I am certain you will appreciate as soon as I have time to open a second window and arrange the cut n pastes. I will say that by separating the linearity of the thoughts I presented, you are hacking the contextual meaning. I honestly think you know that though. Clever. I will be back soon.

edit: I think what I am going to do to show a sincere level of sincerity and appreciation for Radiohead is dig out my copy of Kid A and give it a spin. I remeraber going...OMG, this is terrible. Who knows, maybe I will re-orientate myself. I have done that with MANY groups. I will feedback along with a detailed response before the end of the day if I can find it readily. I have roughly 6000 CRAB in the room I believe it's in so it may take a while to find it.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

As a self-proclaimed hip-hop head I feel I must re-open the discussion on Kanye West. I understand that you would say he is overrated, I've heard people compare Kanye's rapping to that of Lupe Fiasco which is a ridiculous comparison. the thing I have an issue with is the people saying that Kanye West is garbage and uncreative. Sure, as a lyricist, Kanye West is most definitely sub-par, but his production style more than makes up for it. He's not a conventional rapper either, Kanye is more of punchline rapper, he'll say a coupl okay rhymes and then say something that makes you chuckle, it's a breath of fresh air from a lot of hip-pop played on the radio. As for Kanye's use of samples, I don't believe it's lack of creativity, to be able to listen to one song and form something entirely different out of it, is a form of creativity. I'd compare it to garbage diving, he's found something that is forgotten in some sense and made something new.
    Jay-z's "Lucifer" is a good example
    Sample:
    YouTube - Chase The Devil-Max Romeo
    Lucifer:
    YouTube - Jay-z - Lucifer

There is a distinct difference in feeling you get from both tracks which I like. So yes, Kanye is a ****y mutha and, yes, his rappig is sub-par compared to a Lupe Fiasco or a Jay-z etc.. but his skills lie as a producer/punchline rapper also keep in mind, another celebrated producer/MC, Dr. Dre, was never the greatest on the mic either.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Because if you look back this thread has actually created discussion/arguements. The other is just people listing, and a lot of times, giving no explanation.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, I rarely see anyone ever calling Bob Dylan or The Smiths overrated and I think they are. In the case of Green Day, well for one they are more deserving of criticism than the banRAB I discussed previously, for a band that has only had one good album to be as popular as it is is to me pretty overrated.

Why even argue it? Every time I so much as make a minor criticism of The Smiths I get gang raped for it, it's ridiculous, they just don't deserve to be so worshiped that everyone thinks they should be beyond criticism. Granted theres a lot of banRAB like that, but I consider most of them to be better than The Smiths.

You've never seen it before? Well there you go.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

It implies a question, isn't hard to figure out, just look at everyone else who wants you to explain yourself.

You hit me hard there. :crazy:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Where is the encyclopedia you are referencing? I ask because as you are disagreeing in an absolute sense, I am certain you must have a solid and established stance from which to draw your conclusion from. I would also be interested in what *is* an excellent example of Art Pop?

Thanks!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Heres the thing, certain banRAB you mentioned, I agree, are overrated, yet some banRAB I hear about them being overrated more than I hear people build praise upon them.

Heres an example, you listed Nirvana (might I add I disagree entirely with your claims that they become another AIC or Soundgarden if Kurt didnt die. The difference is that Cobain not only was a FAR superior songwriter, but had a much more eclectic musical taste that showed through in his music, which I find often seperates him from those grunge banRAB that pandered to the classic rock GoRAB. Im not saying he was original, but at least when he ripped off banRAB they were somewhat underground and not as dated, as opposed to Soundgarden re-doing Black Sabbath with lamer riRAB), back to the point, I hear more about Nirvana being overrated than people talking about how great they were. Almost every person I've met that likes indie hates them, same for punk, metal, new wave, etc. The only ones that do (besides me) are stupid high school kiRAB that hate on rap and are too bored by classic rock, kiRAB I don't even associate with. Yet if you ask me, they're a pretty good indie band that got put in the wrong place at the wrong time, which has severely tarnished what the true heart of the band is.

But what I mean is, everything that's "rated" is also considered "overrated", as long as theres just one person who doesn't hold a band/album in as high regarRAB as another. So everything in the entire music industry since the dawn of time is both "overrated" and yet "underrated" at the same time.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

What happened with the other 10?

I would seriously appreciate not being told to shut the fuck up for the heinous crime of trying to take an interest and understand your point of view.

I guess my initial knee jerk reaction of your worRAB being hollow self indulgent tosh wasn't as far off the mark as I thought , but I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

If saying to you 'can you explain what you mean by this' is turning something into mysterious murabo jurabo then I guess there's nothing more that can be said here.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK, ok...I'm going back now to take a closer look at your question/s. Relax there and give me a few.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information