What is you could instantly zap yourself into your favorite televised program? This is what happens in the movie Pleasantville. With the help of a mysterious TV repairman, two teenaged siblings are zapped into a black and white television show set in the 1950s. The majority of the film expresses the social and political environment of the 50's.Throughout the film, I noticed some social psychology topics illustrated.

In the beginning, the film portrayed the issues of obedience and self-presentation. These issues were illustrated by the citizens of Pleasantville. Everything and everyone had to be perfect in town. Citizens wore the same non revealing clothing, had to follow strict rules, and presented themselves as perfect in order to live in a perfect society. Life was a daily routine and citizens were not obligated to change. There was no free will, self-expression, or new thought. Everything in Pleasantville was just perfect and “swell”, until the two main characters from the 1990s encourage modern day permissiveness into the unsuspecting era of innocence.

The turning point in the film is occurrence of change. The issue of attitude change was exemplified as color. The people of Pleasantville began to see colors only when they broke out of their monotonous style of life, seeing the world differently. In the end, the characters are taught to be themselves and experience new aspects of life.

There was absolutely nothing I disliked about the film. What I like the most is the films message of to not be afraid of change. As humans, we sometimes fall into the same routine everyday, just as the Pleasantville citizens, because we are afraid of change. This movie expressed to never fear the unknown of change.