Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    Ryan

if they find the higgs thing useing the big bang machine. what are they going...

...to use the higgs thing for ? and also once they fond higgs thing or not then what about the machine. is it useless after that.
    i dont know much about this stuff but i caught a bit of the program on bbc and they said the whole point of the machine is to find this higgs thing so what are they going to use the higgs thing for
    the program was called the big bang machine.
    ok ok linda. i mistyped one word...no need to take the piss out of it. fond = find

J A
    I believe the Higgs particle is thought to be the particle which communicates mass to other particles; it's known as the God particle because it would help explain why the universe is as it is.

lindajune
    You're quite right, you don't know much about this stuff (or about spelling, either).

1. There is no Big Bang machine.
    2. The Large Hadron Collider is a particle accelerator, just like many others like it (the LHC is simply larger and more powerful).
    3. The Higgs boson is the only particle theorized to have existed at the moment of the Big Bang that hasn't been detected yet - they hope to detect the Higgs boson within a year or so of the LHC being fully operational. Finding it will provide additional support and evidence for the Standard Model of the universe and its initial structure.
    4. The LHC was not built just to find the Higgs boson - it will run all kinds of experiments in high-speed particle physics.
    5. The Higgs boson isn't like finding a box of peanuts or a new watch - it is a subatomic particle.

Not sure what you mean by "one they fond higgs" - the word "fond" means to like, love, or appreciate someone. I don't think a scientist would be fond of a particle.

Big Pig
    sure it is useful and meaning for us to know how the universe coming and where the universe go in the future...
    if we can controlled the energy of big bang,
    we may make use of the fundamental particles that only occur during high energy of big bang...
    actually, big bang is only a theory to explain how the universe form..
    do you think other theory or source of the universe...

tick tock
    what are they going to use the higgs thing for ?

flying cars.

Mo Fayed
    No it is not useless. It is a very clever thing, but nobody to know what it is. The Higgs boson is a subatomic particle which lasts a million trillionth of a second, and will be bombing about like crazy. You will not immediately notice the benefits, but they will be of immense value. It has been suggested that there is an almost infinitely unlikely, but real possibility, that using the large hadron collider in the experiments planned will result in what scientists call "one of those things off Stargate" and stuff.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information