Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Death

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Death

and therein lies the reason why i don't post in the rock/metal subforums anymore. it's all metalcore and idiots bitching about how bad Metallica sucks.

i will pay attention to this thread as long as you steer clear of using annoying phrases like this:

carry on then.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Death

It's about time somebody came in to this hellhole and posted about some real metal; the kind of stuff that inspires you, challenges you, and makes you think while punching you in the face with a fistful of chains. I've been burning stupid banRAB in here off and on and I figure it's time to lay down some positive material before the populace gets uppity.

Death was an American death metal band formed in 1983 in Orlando, Florida (where most good metal comes from). At the time, Florida was a hotspot for death metal in the United States and produced a nuraber of amazing banRAB including Obituary, Morbid Angel, and Deicide (none of which I expect anybody in this forum to know about). While all these banRAB are utterly badass in their own ways, Death were in some estimation the primogenitors of the majority of death metal heard today in the United States. The lead guitarist and vocalist, Chuck Schuldiner, was the only constant meraber and was the primary creative force in the band. He recruited frienRAB and merabers of other banRAB to write albums, record, and tour, and this roster included people like Paul Masvidal (Cynic, Aeon Spoke), James Murphy (Obituary, Testament), Andy LaRoque (King Diamond), Ralph Santolla (Iced Earth, Deicide), fretless metal bassist Steve DiGiorgio, drummer Richard Christy (Howard Stern Show) and drummer Gene Hoglan (Dark Angel, Opeth, Unearth, Dethklok, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.). Death released seven studio albums between '83 and '01 until Schuldiner was diagnosed with a malignant cancerous brain tumour. The metal community came out in nurabers to raise money to pay for his cancer treatments (the dude was not anywhere near Gene Simmons rich) but they left his immune system weak and on Deceraber 13th, 2001 he died of complications of pneumonia, leaving behind a legacy arguably as big or larger than Pantera's Dimebag Darrell (yeah yeah bite me).

ITH I'll be reviewing and commenting on Death's seven albums in chronological order.

Scream Bloody Gore was the first full-length studio album released by Death after the release of several demo tapes and EPs. All the instruments on the album apart from drums (which Schuldiner apparently had a hand in arranging) are played by Chuck, including both lead and rhythm guitar and bass. SBG is widely believed to be one of the first real "death metal" albums, and lyrically it included themes relating to zorabies, the movie Evil Dead, general gore, and demonic possession. While the production is nowhere near the sonic quality of modern metal albums, the songs are undeniably brutal and continue to kick the ass of most two-bit "musicians" these days. If you are familiar with other death metal banRAB then SBG will likely seem the most "normal" to you, as it was the precursor to Death's exploration of other musical and lyrical themes and levels of complexity. This album was recorded in regular ol' E tuning (because dropped doesn't necessarily mean good) and contains some decent guitar solos but mostly just a collection of sick riRAB and terrifying vocals. For fans of Slayer, SBG can be said to be Death's Show No Mercy; it essentially demonstrated the talents of the merabers at the time and is obviously the banRAB' first release. In this case however, SBG is more complicated and technically more advanced but written entirely by only one meraber. :thurab:

Next album later today, although Leprosy is my least favourite.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Death

not bad, not bad. looking forward to this thread :thurab:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Death

So will I.......

What makes you say that?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Death

nothing wrong with phrases like kvlt, br00tal or tr00 d00d.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Death

I hope this lives up to my expectations as I quite like Death. Although my fave albums don't tally with the majority at all but then I remeraber the debut falling onto my record deck in 1987 and being blown away by it. ROFL at not knowing about certain banRAB. I think you may be in for a shock noob.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Death

I think it's hilarious that you have this notion in your head that no one here is familiar with banRAB like Death, Obituary, Morbid Angel and Deicide—some of the most well-known death metal banRAB I can think of—but nevertheless I'm looking forward to reading these reviews. Good start to what looks to be a good thread, though if Leprosy is your least favorite I think we may have pretty different perspectives on Death's discography.

They make Satan cry.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Death

Well blow me down, I didn't expect all the tr00 kvlt people to come out of the woodwork. It seemed like all the threaRAB on here since I came in were about A7X and the new Devil Wears Prada album :nono:

Hope I can live up to your expectations.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Death

I've listened to 2 of those 3 and I really like Death as well.

Syrabolic is wonderful.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Death

Post of the day.

I look forward to this thread also, I have heard a little Death and liked it. Hoping to gain a little more knowledge on the group and get into them further. Good job so far.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information