Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Most Inaccessable Artists?

If this isn't just restricted to Rock music, I'd like throw Autechre in the ring. You have to leave all notions of conventional rhythm at the door when you decide to listen to them, and it can take a while just to get used to that - and that's before you move onto actual tunes and whatnot.

For me though, once it clicked I fell in love - and now they're one of my favourite acts.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't see why Aerosmith, the White Stripes and the like are being mentioned. Sure you may not like them but it's pretty obvious they have accessible tunes that a lot of people can and do like.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I got to say that I actually liked that, although it gets kind of old after a while. I would like to see that style mixed with some other more accessible stuff. It just doesn't stand well on its own for me. Although I can see myself warming up to this kind of stuff in the future, it just might be a matter of devoting time to getting to understand it better.

Trout Mask (or Beefheart in general) doesn't sound inaccesible to me anymore, once you get to that point where you "get it" it almost has a pop-ish feel to it, it almost feels catchy at times.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

These are not limited to metal, but i think its safe to assume most of them are... Which artists do you find most difficult to get into (Not necessarily bad artists, just hard to get into)?

Xasthur has my vote

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

To clarify - I like the Grateful Dead just fine at this point ... but it took me YEARS of serious opposition and hearing bits of different recorRAB and different shows when they were playing on late-night radio or at frienRAB' houses to get me to a point where I could find something appealing in it ...

Their existence-over-time / body-of-work is astonishing when seen as a whole ... but no casual listener could possibly see it as that ... in fact, any single album or show (let alone song) could be scene as a sort of incomplete reference to the larger body-of-work, making no sense unto itself without the larger context (although that is an extreme and probably unjustifiable point of view) ...

I would label them "challenging" mainly as there is so much to take in prior to appreciation, in addition to the cultural baggage that goes along with them ... but ultimately (for me) an enriching listen, over time

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I like the Grateful Dead, they're a great band, though a lot of their stuff is something I just appreciate, I don't listen to them very often.

I automatically assume that if you can imagine a style of music, no matter how stupid, someone has done it before.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why would it be safe to assume that most inaccessible artists are metal? There's loaRAB of experimental, avant-garde music out there that's far less accessible than someone like Xasthur.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Im gonna check them out, Ill report back.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

[YOUTUBE]SMssiOp9bbA[/YOUTUBE]

Interesting band but i'd get a headache listening to them after a while. This this even music??

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information