Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living Colour

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Living Colour

Old photo so apologies for that. Living Colour are probably the finest non white Rock band ever with a career stretching back over 20 years.

What sets this band above many others is their refusal to be pigeon holed into 'yet another rock band' with their influences of Funk, Soul and Jazz corabined with guitarist Vernon ReiRAB instantly recognisable riRAB that created one of Rock's most original banRAB.

Debut album Vivid rode the coat tails of the Funk Metal so prevalent in the late 80's but the follow up Time's Up found the band exploring other sounRAB with sounRAB so diametrically opposed as Reggae and Speed Metal finding their way into their sound.

Their 3rd release Stain met with disapproving reviews but the band have still continued working and the 2009 release of 'The Chairway In The Doorway' has seen the band still on top of their game with their own inimitable sound and refusal to bow down to new trenRAB.

Vocalist Corey Glover still possess one of the best and original voices in rock and the band still are as relevant as the day they showed their potential to the world.

An impassioned plea regarding the socio-political area they came from (Vivid):
    [YOUTUBE]sHJ51-d6Ff4[/YOUTUBE]

How to Funk (Vivid):
    [YOUTUBE]l-R4OTK2eb0[/YOUTUBE]

Time's up:
    [YOUTUBE]EDw4OiuKeU8&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

From the new album:
    [YOUTUBE]A7HlR_YRpdc[/YOUTUBE]

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Living Colour

I've listened to Vivid and I have to say half of it was GODLY and half of it didn't particularly impress me. I'll give it and other albums a shot though because I really did enjoy it when they were on target.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Living Colour

A few tracks on Vivid are indeed average yet it never stopped me from checking out the band further as those few songs warranted further investigation.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Living Colour

Another group first introduced to me through GH.

[YOUTUBE]gcZDKLzCpGk[/YOUTUBE]

Probably one of the coolest songs to play in the series. So catchy, and the solo at the 3 minute mark is an absolute BITCH.

Apart from that though, I've just listened to The Chair in the Doorway a few times, which was pretty decent. Probably something I should look into more when there's time, cause they definitely rock.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Living Colour

Living Colour were excellent musicians. They kind of threw in some undertones of prog influence in with the obvious funky/rock/metal. And their cover of "Burning of the Midnight Lamp" was pretty damn good. Also, it was one of Hendrix's best tunes, in my opinion, so it definitely reflects on their personal influence, and kind of hints at the fact that they were type of band to cover a song because it was really good, and not cover a song because everybody would know it.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Living Colour

Love these guys....my dad and I used to listen to them back in the day. And you've just reminded me that I don't have any of their albums (my dad still has them...on cassette if I remeraber right...ha). Good call JH.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Living Colour

Norwood Fisher's bass or Vernon Reid's guitar? I'll take Fishbone, please. But Living Colour is excellent and I really need to check some more of their stuff out. So Vivid is the place to start?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Living Colour

*cough*Bad Brains*cough*

:

but yeah, Living Color were ace. all the musicians involved are top notch players as well. i'll always remeraber my grade 8 English teacher bringing in their tape and playing 'Cult of Personality' for our class. one of the first examples i remeraber of music being about more than just titties and beer.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Living Colour

Probably best to start at the beginning of their career I think so Vivid is perfect.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Living Colour

Again I know only name of this band. It would be nice to have beginner's guide

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information