Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Dream Theater--Greatest Metal Band of this Era

So what you're saying in the final passge of this epic reply is that, even if everything you've just speculated about me is wrong, it still doesn't matter because people like it so I must be wrong? Explain to me why I'd want to address any of your concerns or critisisms then? Better yet, explain to me why you'd even bother replying in the first place?

But seeing as public defamation should warrent eye-for-an-eye responce. Lets select a few of these and make a counterpoint.

First off, for better or worse I own a Dream Theater CD, so I've heard more than a few songs. Secondly, I don't even hate it all, but lets call a spade a spade, if DT isn't a "wankathon" then what is? Some guy warming up with scales before he plays other neo-classical music?

My statement that they have no heart is that their music is emotionless. Its clinical, mechanical, and robotic. And whats funny is, correct or incorrect we can all make any statement here we want within parameters, and thats the statement I did make. And no, I havn't seen them live, but I did hear live recording of them covering the entiere Master of Puppets album. And that was awful.

In regarRAB to the first two things you wrote, yes that would be an ignorant statement had I made it, But I didn't, I said what makes a great band is when they have both. Technique and passion. Obviously we can deduce that I feel they are corabine-able.

Lastly, but I should say, most importantly, WTF is a random nuraber generator doing picking people? Should it pick nurabers? Run that one by me. Unless of course it choose three.

No he isnt, hes actually the most capable meraber next to Petrucci.

Try James Labrie.

But I never said that. The closest I said to that was that he has a better range than Tate and ****inson. And I'm pretty sure that's correct.

Yea, well, that's not skill THAT much (about the emotion thing). You just have to know how to not be 1 dimensional with your voice.

I have heard of Georgia Brown, I'm not sure if I saw it in Guinness, but she isn't on their site I don't think. Anyway, the pure fact that she hits a note outside of 20khz isn't even of musical value. Adam Lopez's range is over 7 octaves and it's all within what's considered of musical value.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

1) Tone does not determine how good you are. Yes, there is obviously good and bad tone and the only thing that is "good" or "bad" is how well it affects your intonation. Your tone is determined through your facial structures such as your brow shape and your cheekbones. This is why you sound similar to your dad, or your brother. Anyway, after good or bad tone, it's all subjective. Tone is natural, you will always have your tone..you can change your tirabre, but you will always have the underlying tone.

2) While range takes skill, it is nothing without control of the voice. Anybody who knows vocals would know that at what volume you sing a certain pitch determines more of your skill level, and how consistantly you can hold it at that volume for how long. This is why a lot of rock singers will never do well in a choir, because they don't have good enough control. Control takes MUSCLE..blaring out an E5 at a certain high decibal level does not make you god automatically. In fact, singing a higher pitch at a higher volume is much much much easier.

3) LaBrie has nowhere near the best range in rock. While he is a fairly good singer when he wants to be, saying he has the best range in rock is very naive. Jeff Buckley's range was between an A2 and an Eb6, for example. His father was rumored to have a 4.5 octave range. Miljenko Matijevic from Steelheart can hit the A above high A in head voice (Buckley can hit 2 semitones below this in FULL). Roy Khan is a professionally trained opera singer from Kamelot and can do the same stuff, except with much control. Now, I never said LaBrie didn't have control, but compared to some other guys, he does not.

I once emailed Adam Lopez, the world record holder for the highest note ever recorded and the pro opera singer, some Kamelot with Roy Khan. He was so impressed with him that he wanted to buy some albums of his. This coming from a pro opera singer who teaches voice at a college and backs up Mariah Carrey sometimes.

I also let my former classical voice teacher listen, and he told me the same and how he would do very very well on broadway. I also had him listen to Grace by Jeff Buckley. First worRAB out of his mouth were "wow, this guy's voice is amazing!"

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

There is something to be said for passion over scales. You can't have one and not the other.

Dream Theater is all math and no heart. While they are great musicians, their just out there progressing music as a science and not as an art. If you don't do both, you'll never be the greatest band ever.

Also, there has been a rash of newbies (sub 5 post count) that have been dropping in just to push an ageda, we must be advertising somewhere.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don`t hear anything progressive about Dream Theatre.

Maybe 20 or 30 years ago they might have been , but music has moved on since then.

All I hear when I hear that band (Which is as least often as possible) is a guitarist who loves himself too much , a vocalist who wishes it was still the 80s & some of the most po faced ,cliche ridden lyrics i`ve ever heard

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's just plain ridiculous and I was ready for that reply. For me to name better keyboardists than Rudess or better singers than LaBrie and better guitarists than Petrucci would be like solving a 7th order DE. And Myung is also brilliant. But I could name at least 10 drummers instantly that are better than MP technical-wise. Here is the technical ability list (from best to worst):

Rudess,
    Petrucci,
    LaBrie,
    Myung,
    Portnoy.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

No, I would like fellow posters to tell what they feel is the best Dream Theater album. I'm in a generious mood and am willing to give banRAB a sixth chance.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

What he means is that its technical proficiency for the sake of ....technical proficiency, i.e. musical masterbation.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information