Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dream Theater--Greatest Metal Band of this Era

Im not huge into them, but I'm going to have to be one of the guys who criticizes the guys vocals. If they had a different singer, they would probably be in my top 20.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dream Theater is a great band. While some of the criticism I've read in this thread has some truth to it the band is one of the most solid sound live banRAB I've ever seen. Also their guitarist, keyboard player and drummer are all considered to be some of the best player of their instrument. There best albums include:
    1) Scenes from a Memory
    2) Images and WorRAB

But I also like some of there even earlier stuff like When Dream and Day Unite.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dream Theaters' musicianship is excellent. Portnoy, Myung, Petrucci, Jordan Rudess - awesome. James LaBrie's voice, however, makes me want to shoot him in the face.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good points Boo boo, but Comus was referring his complaints in how people often will rate an album highly simply because the people involved in it are "talented", rather than rating it honestly based upon the actual content of the music. Take ELP's stuff post Brain Salad Surgery for example, or any of Transatlantic's albums; the players involved are all certainly talented, but there is a serious absence of novelty in the compositions.

Of course, the opposite is certainly true as well; Gentle Giant was a rediculously high-density melting pot of talent, and their first six or seven albums reflect that talent phenomenally.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was refering to standard keyboarRAB.

And i believe they have, im not completely sure if they used moog but Red does have some synthesizer on it.

ELP's and Yes's music are very keyboard heavy.

qft

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Link doesn't work unless I sign in and I can't be bothered. Oi I edited that post btw.

Oh?... So even though Wakeman has actualy showed more capablity than Rudess on pretty much everything he plays, including piano, keyboarRAB, organ, moog, mellotron, etc and even though he has had an output of over 50 solo recorRAB and a huge discography of work as both a sideman and a session player... Rudess is still better just because you say so?

You're pathetic.

I have seen the guy play organ with one hand and moog with the other, soloing on both instruments simultaneously, thats pretty damn far from easy.

You can call him a pompous, pretentious asshole (like many have before) if you want to, but you cant deny the fact that he is a talented pompous, pretentious asshole, much more so than Rudess in my opinion.

Prog banRAB are rarely known for their ability to rock, DT especially dont rock.

Get a new keyboard.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

No! Did you actually read my posts? I believe I had 2 or 3 questions, one of which has been answered.

Plus you statement about easily being the smartest here affects everyone who reaRAB it.

I'm starting to think you have a serious case of megalomania.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Whats the point?... I'd have a pretty hard time trying to pick one out of nearly 500 posts of the same ol' bullsh*t.

Dream Theater still blows.

You misspelled Kurt Cobain on the guitarist poll.

Yet you having better grammar and apparantly having a music degree makes you smarter than me. :laughing:

Hypoooooooooooooooooooooooocriiiiiiiiiiiiiiite.

Exactly which are the sarcasm parts, the being a well paid critic/music grad part?... Haha very funny, can you leave rab now?... Pretty please, with sugar on top.

I play Guitar/Banjo/Keyboard/Harmonica... You dont see me bragging.

NO I WASNT WRONG.

Which is why i would say Tates was somewhere between 3 and 3.5, regardless i know for a fact his is higher than LaBries, like Hendrix mentioned earlier, he has problems reaching lower notes.

You need to study Keith Emerson a little bit more.

Point is, you dont even go into detail to explain why he's the best, other than his music degree, and you say it like hes the only musician out there with a highly trained musical background.

You're copping out.

If you cant explain to me how John Petrucci is better than Shawn Lane or Lenny Breau, then you have little reason to remain on this forum if you cant have a reasonable debate, which is what forums are suposed to be for.

I don't give examples??? I always list several tracks to help with my points.

Funny, i do too, but you always laugh them off maybe without even having heard the songs i mention, which is ok when you do it, when i do it, its bad.

I swore you did, anyway you said i couldnt name 5 better, and i named 30.

Yeah, you're very well liked on this forum alright... Cheeseman, Murder Junkie, Bungalowbill, Crowquill, Urban, DontRunMeOver, Right-Track, Jibber, Mosesandtherubberducky, PerfectionThruSilence and LesPaul43 especially. :laughing:

I have seen you bring up your musical background while arguing with others, admit it, you express the same smug atitude to everyone you argue with, including the posters who are nowhere as agressive as i am when it comes to arguing with a obnoxious rodent like yourself.

Any non prog metal prog banRAB?... Not including ones with merabers of Dream Theater.

You made the very first blow when you first came to this forum and mocked my musical taste and credibility, all because i dont consider DT mighty prog goRAB like you do.

You kept making remarks about how i knew nothing about prog, and you didnt even f*cking know me, you still dont know me, but you came out of nowhere and criticized me, and i didnt even freakin' remeraber you from being on this forum, why?... Because you just joined, and you were already insulting people, primarly me.

You brag about being a critic all the damn time.

btw, i find it odd that you once said to me that you had written nearly a hundred reviews, yet now you say its somewhere around the teens... Funny.

Point is, i was someone who actually enjoyed listening to prog, real prog, so yes, i do think i would know more about it than you do, since you dont even like prog rock in general... Because you know some prog metal banRAB dosent mean you're instantly a prog expert, especially when you are pretty closed minded to the genre as a whole.

Thats certainly something you would say.

Me, and every poster, including yourself, has pwned your ass at some point in time, and when i say one point in time i mean everytime you post and someone responRAB.

I proved you wrong about LaBries vocal skills (or lack there of), i even got a friend of mine to register here just to help make it official, and his case was pretty solid, i'm right, you're wrong, the end.

Its Kurt, NOT Curt.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information