Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Minus the Bear

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Minus the Bear

I was so close to seeing them live a year or so ago...instead I had to go to a family dinner.

I was so pissed.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Minus the Bear

Big yay for minus the bear, and yay for me seeing them in exeter soon, betting it'll be great. Love this band.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Minus the Bear

One of my favorite banRAB.
    Top 10 for sure.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Minus the Bear

I made a new thread for the album in the rating forum the other day, shouldn't have bothered as it doesn't seem popular enough to generate discussion. So here's my feedback on the album.

I just finished my first listen of Omni (Monday), and I have to say I'm a little surprised by this album. I went in with low expectations, with reports of it being very synth-based, and not liking the sound of the track I heard bits of before hearing the whole album ("Into the Mirror" I think). But after a trip to the record store this weekend and a quick sampling of the album at a listening station, I decided to check it out.

I don't find it nearly as "synth pop" as many claim it to be. And by many I'm referring to some of the reviews on rateyourmusic.com. What grabbed me when I sampled it at the store was that the guitars and drums seemed as prominent as ever. There are synths, sure, but to me they weren't any more prominent than in any of their other albums. The album reminRAB me more of Highly Refined Pirates than the last two...which is a good thing. It's definitely not as playful or complex, but it has a more lively energy than Planet of Ice, that's for sure. I think I'll be enjoying this album. My one complaint is that the lyrics are a bit juvenile. They were never the most mature band out there, but on the debut there was humor along with it. Now, it's a more serious tone but still the mind of a teenager/young college student. Planet of Ice also had a more serious tone (along with the more serious-sounding music, part of what didn't appeal to me about it when compared to the first 2 albums) but the lyrical content didn't seem as cheesy.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Minus the Bear

Love this band, have to be in the mood for it though. I haven't heard the new album but I quite enjoyed Planet Ice and Highly Refined Pirates.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Minus the Bear

I had no idea who Minus The Bear was until Rich Russo announced them on his show (Anything, Anything on 101.9 WRXP) here in New York a few weeks ago, when he announced they were having a surprise show here the next night, and tickets were to go on sale the next morning (Monday, his show is Sunday nights 9-11). This is like a week after he announced a surprise Foxboro Hot Tubs show (which is, ahem, *NOT Green Day*), anyone who lives in NYC should check out Rich's show. But yeah, I was ready to go at 9AM and was lucky enough to score a ticket to see them that night at Bowery Electric. And now, what can I say? I'm a fan. I can't stop listening to My Time and I can't wait to see them again!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Minus the Bear

yea. that's a really good song actually. I enjoy it a lot.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Minus the Bear

saw em at bumpershoot last year or 2 years ago or something.
    THEY RULE

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Minus the Bear

I've given it a listen twice intently and once just hearing it. So far, it is not up to par with my expectations, therefore not so enjoyable to me. I'll try and let it grow on me, but I don't see much of a point when I can listen to something better by them.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Minus the Bear

Yeaaa, I think its their least impressive album so far...kinda boring compared to what Im used to..Im hoping its gonna be a grower.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information