we r in early college, different types if engineering majors, and we can be a little nerdy sometimes

needless to say, I dont have a lot of experience...

ok, so we joke all the time. We were jokingly told to stop flirting by a friend recently, which we both kind of ignored and went on as if it hadnt been said (i didnt know we were flirting)

He wouldn't talk about his family, or religion, etc, and idk why, most of us are pretty open about it. He did finally mention a sister, but when i said I didnt know he had a sister, he shrugged and said he didnt know he was supposed to tell me and asked had I wanted to know(but in a negative tone, like why do you care). He has since mentioned his family with me more and more, volunteering info to me rather than the others. So i think he may have just needed someone to show an interest.

He is usually really sweet and funny, and he usually tries to make sure I (and seemingly just me) know when he says something along the lines of the inside jokes our group has. He randomly pulls me into conversation, and tries to make sure to keep them going when in person. He's horrible about text conversations though, but i just text, so i think thats just not his thing

I said something about leaving the room in which we all hang out, and he said "aw, are you leaving already?" in a jokingly whiny sort of tone.

He seems really hesitant to make any sort of physical contact. When he does make physical contact, its really small and random, like he randomly high fived me for no real reason earlier other than the fact he had gotten a homework problem right, (which he does them right all the time, and has never made a big deal of it before). He kinda seems to show off (in a nerdy way) sometimes. Like proving that he has managed a perfect bowling score hours after the conversation was over.

Also, the other day I walk into the room that we do hmwk and stuff in for the program we are in. He was working on a problem and cldnt figure it out. I saw him walk over to a computer and close something, then walk over to me to ask to use the solutions manuel i have on my pc. Did he close one online to come use mine? Or is that nothing

One day I moved closer to look at his computer or something, and he moved away. But last week when we were sitting both in spinny chairs and i turned and my knee hit him, he offered to move over, but when i said he was fine, he didnt. then the other night, I sat purposefully really close and he was fine.

The other night he didnt walk i and another girl to our building when we asked (it was dark and late and there is a rapist loose in our area) and today several of us went to an amusement park and he bailed last minute. I'm the one that invited him. he would have also been the only guy, and he didnt know one of the other two girls going.

I dont know what is important and what is not so, does he like me? and if so what do I do? How can I let him know i like him without being obvious or going too far and freaking him out?