I've searched for this answer all over the internet, but most sites are about distressing wood furniture or metal guitar parts. I have a few barstools and a tv stand that have bright silver parts. Soon I'll be painting some of my furniture and unifying my style, and it's more of a cottage-y style than a sleek, modern look. I'd like to be able to "age" the metal parts of my furniture in order to save money (not buy new furniture).

I've looked all over the chairs, and it doesn't say anywhere what type of metal they are made out of. I'm assuming some sort of nickel plating or chrome covering. The thing is, I don't want to just go out and buy all these expensive corrosive chemicals. I'd rather use something household, like vinegar or salt or something. I just don't know enough about distressing furniture/metal, so any help from people who have done something like this before would be great!

It's not really rust that I want... just taking the edge off of the shine, maybe some discoloration, some texture. I don't want to destroy them, just make them look different and suit my style a little better. If worse comes to worse, I'll just buy a metallic spray paint in the texture and color I want.