Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    ameriicansunshinee

Which car is better? Honda Civic LX or Dodge Neon? Help!?

1. Honda Civic LX 1995
    110K mileage
    asking price: 1500

2. Dodge Neon Sport 1995
    75k mileage
    asking price: 2600

Both cars are in pretty good condition.
    I just need a good car that is safe and reliable...
    Any expert advice would be appreciated!

Typewriter
    Okay, first, they are both good for racing. but I don't think you'd be using it for that so you should weigh what's good about each, and what's bad a bout each. They are the same year, so that means they've seen the same amount of time, one has 45,000 less miles on it than the other. I know for a fact that my uncle got 50 mpg with his 5speed neon and it was a 90-somthing. In all I think the neon would be better as well if it is just a means of transportation for you, as the Civic has a little bit more leg-room, and space inside, but you will sacrifice mileage. I'm guessing the Neon is a fourcyllinder, and the Civic I really don't know, same I guess I'm not one for honda lol but in all seriousness I'd go for the neon if they are both in about the same condition, You will spend a little more upfront, well 1100 more, but I think it is definitely worth the money to go with somthing you know will last longer. I drive vehicles with 200,000 miles on them, and they are still going, so if you get the neon with only 75,000, I think you'll be in good shape. Hope this helped, and hopefully you get what you want/need.

Andrea V
    Honda Civic LX 1995
    has lasted me for ages... about 6-7 years and it still going strong

castillon93
    the safest one is the civic neither of them are the greatest for reliability but the civic is the best for what your looking for and the neon's insurance will empty your pockets pretty fast especially if your 16-25
    the neon's safety is the worst ever from dodge

David W
    My wife's '98 Civic LX has 155,000 miles on it and runs like a champ;
    I doubt you'd fine a Neon with that mileage at all. Go for the Civic.

J C
    I would buy the Honda, no question.
    Pick up a copy of Consumer Report

Leon F
    Take the Honda, the Neon's have a poor engine- that is one of the reasons they were discontinued.

Leon F
    Take the Honda, the Neon's have a poor engine- that is one of the reasons they were discontinued.

autoguy
    Without knowing the actual condition of the cars, I would opt for the Civic. But unless you get a mechanic to look over the car, you don't know it's real condition. With any car that old, there are potential hidden problems even the seller might not be aware of.

Munkstump
    Although I would normally buy American, and lower miles, the Neon may soon be difficult to obtain parts for, given the financial status of Dodge. Plus, the Neon is not a great car in the first place, even if it was the same price.
    The Civic is a very re-sellable car. So even if you don't like it, you can sell it after a while. Many people want these things, regardless of age.
    With that $900 you save, you can get new tires, or the eventual new alternator, battery, brakes, etc. You need to buy these whenever you drive a 110k car for any length of time, regardless of brand.
    IDK if gasoline is your issue, but for $1500, an older domestic truck is a great buy. They are really cheap to fix, cuz the billable hours for every task are so much lower. Any mechanic will tell you he'd rather fix an old truck than a small, front-wheel drive car. It is so much simpler and all the parts are much less expensive. An alternator for an old Ford or Chevy truck is like $25 from a salvage yard. Good luck finding one for a Civic or Neon for under $250.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information