So my wife and I live in somewhat of a low income area, with a majority of the residents being young black males. Were both white, as are our children, but we don't mind the diversity nor do our neighbors. If anything most of the men are very friendly, and my daughter has made several friends amongst the young men. Every time we take her to the supermarket or a restaurant, she gets a lot of waves and smiles, and her friends often yell her nickname, "Rider" because she lives riding bikes so much. We're so glad to see she has such a diverse group of friends, especially since in their grandparents time it would have been considered illegal for a white women and a black man to have any relationship.

But my daughter, who is 17, is acting odd. You see my daughter loves to go ride her bicycle, she usually goes riding during the afternoon after school, when were not home from work, but returns by the time both my wife and I have gotten back. She loves biking, every time she comes back she stinks of sweat, he hair is a mess, her clothes are all ruffled and she's out of breath! She wakes up soar, but just tells me that was a sign of a good ride. I'm very proud she's taking interest in physical activity! In many ways I'd think she wouldn't have a life without that bike, which brings up the issue.

One evening my daughter stumbled in the door. Already this was a cause for concern, I had never seen her so weak. She went over to the sink and practically chugged a gallon of water. I asked her if she needed to sit down, but she said that "that's not a good ideal". She went upstairs and took a shower after that. When she returned, I inquired as to where her bike was, she replied that after going for a particularly long rough ride that day, that she was to tired and soar to continue. So she left her bike at a friend's house and walked home. It sounded reasonable to me, so I told her to go get it back the next day. Now here's where it gets weird.

Everyday I come home and she's home, sitting on the couch watching T.V. I always ask her "Did you get your bike?" and she says "Oh, forgot, I'll get it tomorrow." Yet so far she hasn't gotten it back!

I'm worried for her, is she loosing interest in her sport? Has she become tired of biking? Did she loose the bike? Was it stolen? I don't want to impose on her personnel space, or her private life, but I feel it's about time I demand to no where it is so I can go and retrieve it for her.

What should I do? Allow her to fetch it when it's ready? Or go and get it back myself?