Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    Rover

Please help; What license do I need to ride a 125cc motorcycle in the UK?

I would like a no-nonsense 125cc motorbike to get me from A to B. I drive a car and have a full UK car license. I am 22.

At 16 I took a CBT for a 50cc scooter and rode it for a year before turning 17 and getting a car.

What do I need to get to ride a 125cc, do I need to do a 125-orientated CBT or is my car license enough? Would I have to use L-plates?

Any help welcome- thanks!
    Also, can someone give me a very rough idea of insurance for a 22 year old lad on something like a CG125?

Just very rough- £100? £500? £1000 etc.

naturist
    As the two previous answers have correctly said, you can still ride a motorcycle up to 125cc with L-plates for up to 2 years. After that time you must have either taken your full motorcycle test or you will lose the right to ride. You cannot retake your CBT. As for insurance for a 125cc for someone of your age, your best bet would be to try looking on some of the various online insurance companies for a quote. You could start with moneysupermarket.com. A good insurance company for motorcycle insurance is Bennetts because they only deal with motorcycles, not cars.

Tony W
    you can use your car license and ride with l plates but have to do your cbt every 2 years

Duke75
    You can use your car licence but still need to do CBT, that's why it's called "C" BT!

big_feet_big_shoes
    you need a cbt, and i don't know what other Muppet is talking about, you can retake your cbt every 2 years if you want, but it's better to just get your full bike license, as it cheaper in the long run.
    for my pioneer 125 cruiser insurance i paid £200 last year. so it's cheap as chips, go to www.rampdale.com
    they cover all types of bike.
    you will need L plates, i know there ugly, but if you get caught without em, it's a £60 on the spot fine

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information