Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ? ? ? ?UKMUM? ? ? ?

When can babies eat fish.......?

At what age is "OK" to give babies of weaning age Fish?
    Eloise M- if there was an award for the most stupidest answer you'd win hands...thanks for the laugh ;-)

Star
    I just gave my son some at 9 months but it was only cod from the ice dept at tesco

threenorns
    my public health nurse said fish such as canned salmon (mash it up with the bones - they crumble into mush so they're safe) and sardines were fine when she was less than a year old. she said to avoid shark and other high-mercury fish and also i might want to avoid farmed salmon because of concerns that may or may not be true about PCBs. i also avoid tuna and other high-salt types such as anchovies.

Nina
    They cant have any shellfish till 1 yr but they can have plaice at 6 months, and i assume its the same with other types of fish.

Here is a recipe you might like to try

http://www.annabelkarmel.com/recipes/babies-6-9-months/baby_food_recipes_fillets_plaice

x

?Corys Mummy?
    My son has just turned 11mos old - and i have just started to give him fish. I don't give him things like crab sticks, muscles etc, but i do like to give him fish fingers, tuna etc.

I would think at 6mos it is fine, i was giving my son tuna and tomato puree at 6mos, so i would of thought it would be fine.
    x

Volks
    Fish are known allergens for many babies. It is often recommended to introduce fish only after a baby has reached 1 year of age. Many sources suggest waiting until after 3 years old.

In my opinion, I would not introduce fish to your baby's diet until at least one year old, and only then if he's have no allergies to anything else.

If he's had reactions to other foods, I would wait until 3 years old for fish.

After he begins eating fish, watch for the mercury content...even small amounts can harm a baby's little body. Also, if the fish is already prepared (such as breaded fillets or fish fingers, or even canned fish), watch the sodium content. Those are notorious for being very high in sodium, which is hard on the baby's kidneys.

Kris H
    My son is 15 months old, and I have been feeding him fish about once every other week since he was 12 months old.

mummy earth
    PMSL at the fish finger comment - fresh fish has more nutrients and less preservatives than fish fingers making it healthier and more nutritional for children.

I gave fish at 7mos with no adverse effects at all.

sara
    On baby center it states- experts recommend holding off eating fish until at least age 3.

Here is the site for more info.
    http://www.babycenter.com/408_when-can-my-baby-eat-fish_1368510.bc

But ask your babys pediatrician just to make sure.

Eloise M
    the only fish babies are given is fish fingers, other fishes arent to be given untill age 5+ really.
    xx

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information