I’m not talking about the big picture here - this is not about the election, the economy, etc. While this may have been the catalyst, I don’t care. This here is about about personal change.
43Things is a site that focuses on “building a bigger life” and I’ve used it for about a year - but totally did not get it. What changed was after updating one of my goals (I learned to surf during my last vacation), people responded and shared their own experiences. That was powerful. It made me want to participate in supporting other people’s successes.
In late ‘08 the team behind the site released a book, “Dream It. List It. Do It!: How to Live a Bigger & Bolder Life, from the Life List Experts at 43Things.com” (I have the Kindle edition). I’m reading it every change I get and have learned a lot about breaking down my goals into small wins.
For someone who’s actually not had a problem setting and achieving goals - it’s a new perspective where I can do MORE. And more is always good, right?
Here’s what I’m focusing on in 2009:
* Talking less, doing more (inspired by Better - my vote for best post of 2008 )
* Being healthy
* Playing more
* Attack clutter (mind as well as matter)
* Learn the basics of conversational French using Livemocha
* Learn to take better pictures (on film!) with my Diana camera
Some of this change I’ve carried over from 2008, and it’s been incredibly motivating to see change actually take root into new behavior. And I’m allowing myself to be more aggressively curious (which is natural for me), without seeing it as a distraction.
Life is [very] good.
I had originally titled this, “The Year of Significant Change”, but thought better of it. Any change is significant.

</img> </img> </img> </img>