Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    alex

Is the Mazda MX-5 Miata safe?

I've heard they are very reliable, does that mean they are safe too?
    I'm interested in purchasing one, which is why I'm asking.
    Best answer scores 10 points.

Mark F
    Of course they are. The MX-5/Miata comes with all the current safety features and has the most important safety feature of all - excellent handling and braking ability. I might add though that if safety is at the top of your priority list it is odd you would be considering a very small, RWD 2-seat sports car.

mazdaspdracer
    I am a Miata owner and yes they are safe and very very reliable. It is not uncommon to see a Miata with over 200,000 miles on it.

Now, I wouldn't put my baby in the front seat but for the most part they are solid little cars.

True Story-
    My miata got rear ended by a full size ford truck. I was at a complete stop and he was traveling at an admitted 35 mph, which probably means 45 mph.

My little car is still driveable and I walked away with very minor injuries. A knot on my head and a few bruises was all I had. I did tweak my back and had to see my chiropracter for a while but I was totally suprised at how little damage that big ol truck did.

I can't wait to buy another one

Ms. X
    I don't consider any car the size of a Mazda Miata safe in a crash. But they're safe and nimble in the sense that you might be able to avoid some accidents. You can look up crash test results online and at Consumer Reports for more objective information.

captain cool
    check this website for crash test results
    http://www.safercar.gov/portal/site/safercar/menuitem.13dd5c887c7e1358fefe0a2f35a67789/?vgnextoid=4ecd2bc586d7a110VgnVCM1000002fd17898RCR D

best answer

twofortwo
    As a Miata owner for 6 years, yes, it is very reliable and I consider it very safe. Newer models have all the latest safety features. However, in a head-on collision with a large SUV or pickup truck or 18 wheeler, any small car is probably going to come out on the losing end of the deal.

Murcie
    Aside from airbags, traction control and all that jazz, the MX5 is also a very grippy little car. It may be rear-wheel-drive but it's hard to break its traction through a corner. They're great little cars.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information