My U.S. History teacher was talking about the Republican and Democratic parties during the 19th century and she said that the Republican Party back then is more like the Democratic Party today and that the Democratic Party back then is more like the Republican Party today. So my question is when did they change their views? And what would Abraham Lincoln be considered? I know that he was a Republican back then, so would he be a Democrat by today's standards? Also, when did these two political parties change their minds? I'm just a bit curious.

And please, I have been to several other questions trying to figure this out. Please do not post "Abraham Lincoln was a Republican/Democrat and he fought and died for black rights blah blah blah and the other party hated blacks they're evil and now since Lincoln in my Political Party, it's the best blah blah" because I know for a fact that Lincoln did not fight for black rights, he just wanted to preserve the union, because there was a quote he said it went like "If making the states half slave and half free would preserve the union, I would do it. If making the states all slave would preserve the union, I would do it. " So please none of that.