Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Desert Punk" Discussion (Spoilers)

I just finished watching this Gonzo series and wanted to talk about it. Who else has seen it?

It's basically about this mercenary who wanders the post-apocalyptic desert in search of money-making missions, and desperately tries to get laid in the process. Later in the series, DP gets involved in a plot to take down the government.

One thing I found interesting about the show is that it becomes less about Desert Punk halfway through, but rather about his tag-along sidekick, Kosuna, who wants to be just like him. This is ESPECIALLY true when [SPOILER] we think DP is dead due to an explosion we think he was in [/SPOILER] . I thought it was neat how they slowly took the focus to this younger character instead. And really, she wasn't too annoying, which I was afraid of when she was first introduced.

And speaking of Kosuna, I was surprised by the ending as well. [SPOILER] Kosuna and Desert Punk part ways? Especially after how much she's looked up to and emulated him? Didn't see that coming. But, I guess it makes sense, seeing as how she wanted to not be dependent on him. [/SPOILER]

The episodes which focus on the past civilization worked the best, I felt. Like when DP and the gang are exploring the ruins of a once-great Japanese city- that was pretty cool.

Comedically, the show didn't do much for me, sadly. I heard people saying it was a laugh riot but honestly, I didn't LOL much at all. Mostly chuckles. Apparently the draw is supposed to be Desert Punk's perverted nature, but seriously, after seeing a bunch of pervs just like DP in various anime series, it didn't seem very fresh. And actually, he wasn't even THAT dirty-minded when you get right down to it. Quagmire puts him to shame.

There was one episode where the pervertedness DID work, though: The one where Desert Punk kidnaps the boobalicious Junko and holRAB her hostage in his secret underground facility. Through a variety of carefully-planned scenarios, DP manages to get Junko into nothing but a swimsuit and high heels and wants to have his way with her, but amiRABt a struggle, she knocks out the part of him that remerabers the code to get out of the fortress, so they're stuck there for days. It's quite a humorous outing, especially since even despite a contract, Junko manages to outsmart her way out of having sex with him AGAIN.

Speaking of Junko, [SPOILER] I was really relieved when she didn't actually die in the last episode. That would've sucked, even if she was technically a "bad guy". She's been with the series since the beginning (thus it would've seemed weird to lose her), and even though she had questionable allies, arguably DP was questionable in his morals too. Plus, hey, she's hot.

I didn't see the trick she played on Sunako coming, honestly I didn't. [/SPOILER]

Apologies if this was rarabling. Just wanted to give some springboard starting points.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I bought the viridian collection of this show when I was on vacation last year, the show is hillarious, and is one of the best blind-purchases i've ever made.

The ending was very...abrupt, but still, the show itself was comedy gold.

Yeah, Kosuna stole the show. Without her as a foil Kanta(DP's real name) really wasn't as funny, or very developed.

I liked the series, but I'd give it a 3 out of 5, only because of some problems:

How the government resistance took up the 2nd half of the series, but there wasn't any actual mention or build up in the 1st half.

Other than being a sick puppy, and likely willing to abandon people, Kanta never gave off the mention of being a cold blooded killer, or even willingness to work for anyone but himself in the first half. In the last two episodes, he does both, against his frienRAB.

I would have forgiven the show however if they gave the last four episodes a longer timeskip. I wanted to see an older Kosuna.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Don't we all.

I thought the episode where she has to dig that hole to prove that she could handle a big gun was well-done. Even though she wanted to be macho like her hero, she had enough common sense to realize that the big gun she wanted was just too much for her, and would just exhaust and slow her down lugging it around the desert. She had some humility and could acknowledge when she was wrong. Though I didn't hate her before that or anything, I think it was that episode when I really warmed up to her character.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information