Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Anime and sexism/feminism

I'm in full support of shows with tons of gratuitous fan service as well as great characters and story. See GunXSword. One of the most underrated anime of 2007.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's an interesting thought... but I agree... I think the point that should be made is that guys (and girls) shouldn't use violence upon anyone, and not just girls.

This may sorta relate to the Tsundere archetype, but I always find it frustrating when a female character who beats the crap out of the guy (and anyone else, though that may be rare) is somehow endearing.. I just don't understand it, and I don't find that to be a trait which makes them a 'strong' character either. Feminism =/= 'I hit boys!"

I think partially the problem is the perception that in order to be considered female empowering, all female characters have to be shown in a positive light. I don't think that is the case.. I think all that is required is that females be portrayed realistically. Of course, I always prefer characters who are likable regradless

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

So am I.

The failure of Adult Swim to realize this is why their anime block has gone into the tubes, but that's another topic.

You can make a character interesting without being sexualized, but to make her uninteresting in the name of making her unsexualized is the worst thing you can do. Worse than making her a fanservice character. She has no point other than to satisfy whiners by wasting time.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I forget exactly how it was done in the manga or anime, but I do recall in the movie, Naomi and her husband were portrayed to be fairly conservative Christians, so that might play a part in the relationship's gender roles.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's how I feel. But I would even lump the lolicon into it as well. If people can excuse fanservice, then they should be able to excuse loli stuff as well if all they really care about is the writing/plot, especially if the reason again lolicon is because it's 'objectifying'. To me that just seems like it's saying it's okay to objectify women, so long as they're adults.

I'm a fan of action shows mainly, I don't care for comedy, so that may be part of the reason; since fanservice tenRAB to be played for laughs and sex pandering. Something like Lord of the Rings may not have many female characters, but the ones that are there, like

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

No one brought up Sailor Moon yet? I'm kind of surprised.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

What about series where armor/pilot suits are skin-tight for all charachters?

Do you think it's fanservice then? Luffy wears less clothing than Nami or Robin, yet people don`t count it as fanservice.

This seeming Double standard is due to the fact that women have more "sexual areas" for lack of a better term, than men. To actively avoid shots that would include them for women would be a series of nothing but heaRABhots.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's very interesting with many villains that beat on the women(like Spopovitch/Kabuto/Mayuri/Spandam/Nnoitra.etc)in some Japanese animes if that's sexism,but the women do get their revenges on their beaters(like Tsunade/Nico Robin/Nel)which makes it enjoyable,but Kabuto is awesome though.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The spoilers in question were on TVTropes. I'd point out that a lot of stuff has changed from the start of the series to the present, though.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Now while it might be impossible to get fans (of the otaku variety) to accept anything other than a sexed up female, couldn't they try to tone down the sexiness until said fans are use to the change?

Cause frankly, I think that baby steps might be more effective that simply trying to change the rules in a quick swoop.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information