Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Eden of the East" Talkback (Spoilers)

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins from power."

The series begins on Noveraber 22, 2010 with a missile strike against an uninhabited area of Japan, claiming no victims. This apparent terrorist act is referred to as "Careless Monday" and disregarded by most people. Three months later, in the United States of America, a young Japanese woman named Saki Morimi is visiting Washington D.C. as part of her graduation trip. When she gets into trouble, a mysterious Japanese man, who introduces himself as Akira Takizawa, helps her through it. The man appears to have no memory and is completely naked, carrying only a gun and a cell phone charged with 8.2 billion yen in digital money.

Opening theme
    "Falling Down" by Oasis

Ending theme
    "futuristic imagination" by School Food Punishment

So I figured I'd start this topic. I've been *really* looking forward to this and Episode 1 didn't disappoint me at all. As expected from Production I.G., the animation was top notch, and I absolutely love both characters already. The dubbing in english was also good for some characters in the first episode as it wasn't the usual engrish. Thoughts? Comments? Leave em here. I hope others watch this as well.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

This show is directed by the director of Ghost in the Shell SAC and Moribito. We should come to expect a certain level of political awareness from him by now--and it's not something that's common in most anime directors. Heck, GITS 2nd Gig's main storyline was basically a reaction to post-9/11 politics. You guys knew that, right?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

That OP song is awesome. Best of this year hanRAB down. The ED however is very...innovative in the creepiest way possible (Akira shooting down pencil missiles with his finger....Foreshadowing much?) And all in Paper-mation apparently. That's...definitely weird and different.

English VA's? In a Japanese anime that's still airing in Japan? BLASPHEMY AND MADNESS I TELL YOU! BLASPHEMY AND MADNESS?

Okay, I just want to express to all that "Yes, the anime to watch this season is Eden of the East" at least judging from its first episode. I mean it, this was just amazing. It somehow manages to blend the light humor and artistic style of Honey and Clover with a backdrop of mystery and intrigue. Also, Akira has become my favorite character on the show already. I mean it. I don't think you're going to be able to beat a naked guy carrying a gun in anything. That's just hilarious.

The last time I ever had so many questions from the first episode was Higurashi....well, I had a lot after Chaos;Head but didn't exactly follow it the whole way through. Anyway, forget FMA:B, this is the blockbuster to follow this season. (And its only...11 episodes long?)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

You mean to tell me when Section 9 is fighting the Individual 11 its.......wait a second, Section 9, Individual 11..9/11......ZOMG!! It all makes sense now.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

No... (but good point, I didn't notice that!)

Seriously, just read some of the interviews with Kamamiya around the Net, or even on the 2nd Gig DVRAB. He mentions post 9/11 politics more than a few times when discussing 2nd Gig. And note I said POST 9/11 politics, not "9/11" itself. That means the political climate around the world shortly FOLLOWING 9/11. And 2nd Gig's main storyline about nationalism, false wars, political refugees and terrorism is certainly a very obvious reflection of that.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

So, Akira killed 20,000 NEETs. Anything for the good of the country is the name of the game, I suppose. Speaking of the game, how is it supposed to end? You just use all your money up and die, but is there another way?

I'm loving the constant movie references, especially when it's stuff I actually know. Dawn of the Dead indeed, minus the survival horror and the zorabies.

Correct. There's a Movie in planning stages as well so 11 episodes + Movie.

I agree though. Outside of FMA:B, this is definitely the blockbuster anime to watch. Production I.G. does great work. The animation quality was just superb, and I love how they did the opening and ending. The ending theme is very catchy, along with the opening.. but the different styles of animation was great.

"Akira" was indeed awesome. He's hysterical, and it looks like our two leaRAB hit it off as well. I'm guessing the narative at the beginning was from the future, and it's her telling a story of some kind. That or I'm completely off on that. Either way, she may have found her prince.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, the one that I've coincidentally sigged, that Oasis? How random.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I know, I was just kidding.

How the heck they landed Oasis for the OP, I don't know, but that was a masterstroke. Especially as the song fits the themes of the anime quite well.

The best part about this is that anime has introduced me to a song I can actually buy immediately for once. *yanks it off iTunes*

I saw a few of the scenes. The English voices are kinda mediocre in terms of delivery but the lines are well-written. I didn't hear any real Engrish going on. Washington D.C. is also gorgeous and accurate, I have to give Production I.G. credit for doing their research.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information