Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    MountainReader

About done with this illness

Precious,
    I never thought I'd have to worry about the "getting old" stuff in my mid 30's. My first PT for my shoulder actually told me I was just getting old when I asked him about my shoulder being out of whack when I never injured it.

I was on PPI's for years before I ended up with the surgery. Protonix worked for about 3. A double dose daily of Prevacid worked for several more. Then they just stopped being effective. (Prilosec, Nexium, Aciphex and Zegrid didn't work at all for me. In fact the Nexium made me 1000 times worse.)

The Nissen recovery hasn't been too bad. Having the laproscopic surgery really helps with the recovery time. I was in some pain for the first week. Probably should have taken more pain meRAB than I actually did. I mostly took them after getting up from a prone position. That really took something out of me because my ab muscles didn't want to cooperate for the first couple weeks. The doctor told me I could go back to work whenever I wanted. I think most people usually take about a week. I took 2 weeks because I had plenty of leave. I'm glad I did though. Even though I was up and moving around after the first night, I was still very slow moving for the first couple weeks.

I was on liquiRAB only for the first two weeks. After I started eating more "normally" I was feeling more myself. I stayed off of meat and bread for a couple months though. They don't break all the way down when you chew them. It takes a few months for the stomach swelling to completely go down, so being careful is advised. I do have to be careful to take small bites and really chew my food for the rest of my life though. I also have to make sure I don't gain weight beyond what I weighed when I had the surgery. I ended up about 18 lbs down though. (I think the IBS had a bit to do with this as well. My gut wasn't really happy with the body changes for a while.)

Overall, I'm very happy I had the procedure because my breathing is so much better. I still have some stomach and gut problems, but I'm thinking it is more the IBS than the reflux. My GI doc won't let me off the PPI's though. Part of the reason is because he thinks the extra acid in my stomach as I go off of them will make the IBS worse.

I'm sorry you had to deal with the IBS for so many years. I've been dealing with it for 9 months now, ever since I was on that Nexium for the reflux. I have had IBS symptom changes and new symptoms over the last couple months. I'm still trying to figure it out.

Take care,
    MountainReader

precious49

Mountain Reader,
    Boy, you've been through a lot. I'm just so glad that the surgery has helped you. I thought Nexium was suppose to be a healing drug. Well, apparently not for you. Drugs can help but I think they also do great harm. The list of side effects makes you not want to take anything. I truly think that they could make drugs that aren't so harmful. But hey, they keep us sick with the new problems that arise from taking their drug. I'm only on high blood pressure and acid reflux drugs. I'm trying to be as healthy as I can to avoid having to take anything else.
    Have you ever tryed Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar to aid with digestion? When I first heard about it I was confused because I thought it would make my acid worse but it's done just the opposite. I mix it with honey and have learned how to take it so that it doesn't take my breath away. Before my Mom went home to be with the Lord, she used it every day. I always take it after I've eaten and it does seem to help with digesting my food. I don't know if it's something that you should try though.
    Laproscopic surgery's have made such a difference for everyone that is able to have that surgery instead of the standard. My surgery next week is suppose to be laproscopic the Dr. said, unless there is something unusual. I can't wait--it is really bothering me--it's hard to sleep because I wake up in pain because I've gotten it in a bad position. But I don't have to wait much longer so I can tough it out--I just hate to take pain meRAB because they cause colon problems.
    I pray that you have a good day in Utah. I've been to Southern Utah and it is beautiful.
    precious49 God Bless You and Yours Today and EveryDay
    I pray that you continue to get better and better each day.

precious49

Elisa123,
    I just had no idea that this could get so severe. It sounRAB like you've done all the right things. Have you researched other Drs. in states close to you? It breaks my heart that you're having so much pain. I just pray right now that God--The Great Physician will take control of your body and heal it. I pray that your suffering will end and that the glory will go to God. I pray that He will touch you and give you His Peace. I am so thankful that you're a Christian. I know what you mean about depression. I've had a chronic illness since 1980 that no one can figure out. The last 2 and 1/2 yrs. have been horrible until about Aug. 08'. Somedays all I could say is "I'm A Child of the King". And that's the only thing that kept me going.
    I love the prayer that TEdwarRAB83 said for you. I think the 3 of us (and anyone else that wants to join in) need to set a time that we can all pray together and petition God for a special healing for you. I love the scripture--where 2 or more are gathered in My name--we can gather spiritually together and agree. You are my Sister in Christ and I want you to feel better:angel: Jesus Loves You and so do I. precious49
    God Bless You and Yours Today and EveryDay

Elisa123

Hi everyone, thank you for all your replies. I must say that changing my diet does not really do much for me. I have a motility problem and my LES opens up all the time whether I eat or not. If acid is not coming up, its bile coming up. I have more acid/pain when I eat salaRAB and healthy fooRAB then when I eat junk...I can't even describe to you what I am going through. I can drink water and it will come right back up into my mouth. The bile reflux that I have cannot be controlled by diet or meRAB, and that is what has done most of the damage to my esophagus and upper throat. The back of my throat all the way up to my ears is severely red and inflamed, and it hurts like hell to swallow anything. I can't escape this pain, even when I eat healthy it scratches my upper throat so bad I am in so much pain. I have tried smoothies, bananas in soymilk, but that just flares up my acid horribly and I will be sick all day long. I tried baby food, but that is very gritty and hurts. I have tried everything to escape the pain and nothing helps remotely unless I just I chew gaviscon tablets at night and just dont eat during the day. This is no way anyone should have to live. I have been to 3 diff gastro docs, 1 surgeon, acupunturist, holistic health doctors, and three ear nose and throat doctors, and NOTHING helps stop the pain in my upper throat and esophagus. I am serious when I say I have tried everything. This is pure hell - I suffer through everyday of my life. No one can help me, I cant even help myself, I am always in constant pain and really just want to give up because i dont see an end to this. The pain is so awful it feels like someone burned my upper throat and ears with a lighter, I even feel this pain in my eyes. I burp after everything I swallow, even saliva, because of the motility problem in my esophagus. I just dont know what to do anymore. Even my tongue burns too. This is really like a bad nightmare and I am just waiting to wake up. Thank you for listening.

-Lisa

Chantal231

Hi frienRAB,

I'm so grateful for your support and prayers during this stressful time.

I had a bad day New Year's day with lots of discomfort, burping and some nausea. Friday was a bit better but I get so fatigued. I think the stress and my nerves wear me down. If I'm not worrying about my mom then I'm worrying about my tests. I also get very depressed trying to cope with it all.

Thanks again for everything. All of you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Chantal

PS TEdwarRAB have you tried drinking a carbonated drink when the mucus is really bad? It helps cut through it and clear it out.

MountainReader

Precious,

ROM is range of movement.

The reflux surgery I had was called a Laproscopic Nissen Fundoplication. They take the top portion of the stomach, the fundus, and pull it in behind the esophagus and around. They then stitch the stomach to itself around the esophagus. The result is that every time the stomach contracts, it contracts around the esophagus also, preventing the reflux from being able to come up.

My lower esophageal sphincter just doesn't work well. No medications were working anymore. I was constantly refluxing and the reflux was irritating my lungs causing me major breathing problems. The surgery has really helped with that. I'm still dealing with some digestive issues, but I strongly believe they stem from the time I was on Nexium. They started when I was on it last June and just haven't gotten better, even when I went off the medication. It's officially IBS now.

Take care,
    Mountain Reader

TEdds83

Oh dear sweet Lisa...I am SO sorry that your pain is this bad. I didn't realize that reflux could be this bad. Here I am complaining about the mucus and my throat feeling tight but my pain is minimal and bareable. But my gosh! I feel horrible for you. What are the solutions? I mean is there a surgery that can be performed? Do any doctors tell you how this happened or offer any solutions? There just has to be a solution. You can't live like this. How do you keep weight on? Have you lost alot of weight? I will pray for you!

I wish I could help you. Have you had this very long? Have you had alot of procedures done?

precious49

Good Early Morning TEdwarRAB83,
    I am so thankful to the Lord for you. It's awesome to have a prayer partner in Iowa that Loves the Lord. You will be prayed for by me and my sister-in-law on the 9th--we pray together over the phone anytime either one of us has a prayer request. Wed. morning I needed prayer--her 3yr. old granddaughter was on the speaker phone with us and prayed with us, also. Isn't God Good. And you're right--Jesus is our Healer--and yes we do need to do our part in taking care of ourselves.
    I'm so sorry that you've not been feeling good. Maybe you're getting too much fiber--or if you just started eating more fiber you're system may not be use to it yet. Sometimes it's hard for me to try to figure out just what my colon neeRAB to work properly. Having loose stools for a week is not good. Is it making you feel weak?
    That noise would have woke me up too. How strange--did it feel like something was stuck there and then maybe passed on thru. Sometimes when I drink anything, it will get stuck and then it will make a gurgle sound as it passes thru. When my reflux is real bad, I sleep in my recliner and I sleep much better. But since I've been on the Aciphex, I really haven't had much problem at all and I haven't experienced any side effects.
    And it's OK to complain--you're not feeling good--and I'm here to listen and some days it is hard to rejoice--those are the days I say "I Am A Child of The King". Yes, He is Our Healer and I just praise God that He is in control when I'm not. And some days I take life from moment to moment and that's when I'm really glad that He's always there. I just ask the Lord Jesus Christ to be with you this very moment--that he will heal your body and help you to feel better--I ask that His Perfect Will be done in your life so that you can glorify Him with your testimony of Love for Him. In Jesus Name. Amen:angel:
    I love you, Sister In Christ, and I pray that you have a better day today.
    precious49 God Bless You and Yours Today and EveryDay

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information