Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    whitewrightinc

EsophyX TIF A Big Disappointment

I had mine on the 4th of Dec as well. I have had a little reflux but not near as bad as I was before the procedure. I am eating well and drinking well! I was told I had a beautiful fundoplication! I can count how many times I have had reflux which is cool because before I always had it, day and night. I am still having minor chest pains and really miss beer and cokes. At this point I am happy with my decision and the money I spent. I paid out of pocket and it cost $8500. Has anyone else paid out of pocket and if so how much did it cost? I have taken a few PreviciRAB but that is probably from Vodka and stress. Not using PPI's at all. That is great because I don't have insurance because of my Gerd and Barrett's. At this point I know I am still healing and hope it will just continue to get even better. I will get scoped in May and see how well it has healed.

mmhisley

Hello Love Pink, Thanks for the information. I am seeing a gastroenterologist. What is the speciality of the doctor you will see who you called a "pancreas Dr?" That might be my next step. Thanks again.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have the same symptoms.....mine is bile reflux....took a long time to figure this out...I had been on nexium 2x daily and nothing works for me...They just put me on this medicine that is supposed to soak up the bile called colestipol 3x daily...I had my gallbladder out 16 yrs and ago and have a history of pancreatitis, and had an ERCP. On my way to new Pancreas dr. and got myself a new stomach dr. good luck

tex2007

The absolutely WORST thing about having the Nissen procedure is coming down
    with a stomach virus and being totally unable to vomit. This has happened
    to me twice since my procedure....never want to it happen again.

mmhisley

To hawkins6, whitewrightinc and any others who have had the Transoral Incisionless Fundoplication (TIF) procedure for acid reflux: I had my TIF procedure on January 8, so I'm just past my first week. I'm still on the liquid diet and I'm still taking Nexium. (I will probably stop taking Nexium within the next couple of days.) At this point, I do not know if the TIF procedure worked for me or not. I'm feeling a bit discouraged with the liquid diet and am losing weight that I don’t need to lose. I would appreciate any information from others who have had the same procedure as to how long ago you had the TIF and how you are doing now? Thanks in advance for any input or advice. Best wishes.

indycar

My doc said to eliminate PPI's one week after surgery. That worked out fine for several weeks and now I am back on them. I will hopefully get things normalized and then go off them again. I am not sure how long it takes to get the full effect of the TIF procedure. Everything I have read about long term studies says the 80% of folks get off their PPI's permanently. I am hopeful I am not in the dreaded 20%! Let's keep this post going so we can alll compare our results.

mmhisley

TO: Hawkins6 ~ Yes, I believe we both had Dr. Bada for our EsophyX TIF surgeon. In response to your question regarding a gastro doctor...while I do not have one, I have a friend who sees a gastro doctor she described as "outstanding." I will ask for the name and will pass it on to you. Will you see a gastro doctor for any possible follow-up GERD/acid reflux issues? It has been a couple of weeks since your last post...how are you doing now? As for me, when I cut back on my PPIs, I immediately got a sore throat from acid reflux. Dr. Bada said to go back on the Nexium for two weeks. That was a week ago and my throat is still sore. So, I don't know what is going on with me. I also feel tired since my TIF. Did it take awhile for you to recover your energy level?

Thanks for any input from Hawkins6...or from anyone else. Best wishes.

mmhisley

Hello LovePink, Thank you for sharing your information. I had a "gastric emptying study done just this morning. That showed no problems. It does not look at the intestines, which I'm assuming is where the bile reflux problem originates. Could you tell me how your bile reflux was diagnosed? By that I mean, what test was done to idenitfy bile reflux? Thanks again.

indycar

Ok, I'll weigh in here. I had my TIF done in Arkansas, close to where I live, on Deceraber 4th 2009. I just got off my diet regiment and am back on normal fooRAB. The first 2 weeks after surgery I thought "gosh, I'm cured". No reflux, back on a flat bed, and was even having coffee in the mornings. About 2 weeks ago, as I started with normal fooRAB, I began to get some of the reflux symptoms again. A tickle in the throat, a bit hoarse upon waking, etc. I have taken PPI probably 5 or 6 times in the past 2 weeks. I will probably stay away from tomatoe products, spicy fooRAB, alcohol, etc for a few more weeks to see how things go. I am also going to resume cycling which I have been off of since Noveraber. I'm 49 years old and ready to be done with this. I do feel better but just hope that things don't reverse back on me. By the way,I just got my bill. It was a whopping $18,000!!! I noticed one of the other posts said that theirs was only about $6,000 or so. Anyone else had a total bill sent to them yet? I had blue cross and I am certain they will deny it. I think this was the 2nd one that my doctor had performed. I am not sure he had all the experience that I needed to get it right the first time. I am certain I was part of his learning curve. Anyone out there to compare my surgery bill with?? Anyone out there with more than 2 months of recovery?

bowhunter333

hi hawkins -

I am hearing of quite a few similar experiences. Did you go into the procedure thinking it was reversible? Did you try to get it reversed afterwarRAB? There is a lot going on with the esophyx right now that people considering the procedure need to know.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information