Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    hawkins6

EsophyX TIF A Big Disappointment

Have milk shakes...they're considered liquid, also cream of soups. I found some good recipes online for soups. Steak and Shake has a happy hour with half price shakes 2 - 4 each day. That saved me! You won't really know if the procedure worked until you start going back on "real" food. I find that 7 weeks after the procedure, I'm pretty good if I eat bland food. However, if I try acidy food, like red sauce or spicey food I still need to take my PPI. My internist told me (after the fact) that most of his patients haven't had very good luck with the procedure. At least i'm not taking my PPIs two times every day...more like once every other day.

tex2007

My old "normal" was much worse than the new (post fundoplication 5ys. ago)
    "normal". I still take PPI's twice a day, my bed isn't elevated, my asthma is under
    control, I eat /drink pretty much anything I want to. It isn't perfect but it's
    'doable'. My GI is Markus GolRABchmeidt of Dallas, Tx. He's excellent and works by
    referral only.

hawkins6

I just quit taking the PPIs and watched what I ate. If I felt indigestion, I took the pills again. Having felt pretty good for a week, I was feeling pretty smug. Last night I went to a superbowl party and apparently had too much to eat and drink, because I was sicker than ...last night. I woke up because I had burning crap coming up my throat. I kept feeling burning coming up my throat, but couldn't vomit. Has anyone experienced that? I'm afraid to go to sleep tonight because I might have a repeat of last night.

MountainReader

I'm sorry to hear you are still having such problems.

I can't speak to the EsophyX TIF, but I did have a Nissen Fundoplication last year. For me, it helped a lot, but that isn't the experience everyone has. I find it interesting that the marketing is geared to "no more pills" and "eating whatever you want". Neither my GI doc and surgeon promised I'd be able to go off the pills. The surgeon said many people were able to, but my GI doc told me all along that I'd need to stay on my twice per day PPI's. My stomach is still producing too much acid, even though it isn't coming up like it used to. He was also clear with me that I should still stay on the modified diet. Although, after a couple years on it, I have lost some of my willpower and sometimes "cheat" knowing I may pay a price digestively.

Be very careful for a while longer on what you eat. Meat and bread can take a long time to be able to accommodate since they don't break up in your mouth and kind of glob up when you swallow. They are harder to get down. Angel food cake is still a tough one for me. My surgeon was clear about the fact I'd always have to take small bites and chew well.

Have you had a follow-up with your surgeon yet? When is your next GI appointment? You really should be talking to them about what you are still going through.

Good luck,
    MountainReader

mmhisley

I am scheduled for the EsophyX TIF procedure this Friday, January 8, to be performed by Dr. Bada at Fawcett Hospital, Port Charlotte, Florida. He explained that the vast majority of people, 85% to 90%, who have had this done have been able to completely discontinue taking prescription medications. He said the other 10% to 15% have had to take a prescription some or most of the time. No guarantees. Sorry to hear that you had to go back on the PPIs. That's a major disappointment after going through the procedure, 23 hours in the hospital ant the eating restrictions. Is Dr. Bada your doctor? Is there anything else that can be done to be of help to you? Best wishes to you.

hawkins6

How'd the TIF go? I just returned from a cruise and found that following the diet was a lot easier on the ship than at home where I have to cook for myself. I also found that I didn't neet to take the PPIs every day...maybe twice during the week. Yes, Dr Bada is my surgeon also. I have my final visit with him in a week and we'll see what he thinks about my condition. At my last visit, two weeks after the surgery, he told me to discontinue taking the PPIs, that I didn't need them anymore...except in rare occassions when I ate spicey food. With the diet, I haven't had spicey food since early Deceraber.

hawkins6

I got the TIF thinking it would have results as advertised by my doctor and the manufacturer of the tool used to preform it. He actually has a billboard in town. Guess that should have been my first clue. The TIF was presented to me as a way to never use PPIs again and eat whatever I want. There is no need to reverse the procedure. It doesn't provent me from doing anything I did before the TIF. It's just like it never happened. I am still taking a PPI a day and still experiencing my original problem, which is burning tongue and gums. Maybe that isn't caused by acid reflux, who knows?? I haven't found a doctor or dentist who does!

tex2007

Yes, I now enjoy carbonated beverages; the only one I cannot (and really miss) is champagne on New Years eve. I take PPI's twice a day.
    It took about a year before I could handle Dr. Pepper. Congrats on the jalapeno burger; I'm not sure I'd try that!

mmhisley

Thanks for sharing your experience regarding the EsophyX TIF. Hope that things continue to go well for you. You had your procedure about one month before I did. I have not received my bill yet. Did your doctor tell you to continue taking your prescription (PPI) for a week or two following your suregery and then taper off of it? Did you have any reflux problems when you went off of your prescription?

mmhisley

Thanks for the suggestions regarding the liquid diet. Good to hear that you have some success and have been able to greatly reduce the nuraber of times you have to take PPIs. If you would be so kind

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information