Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    hawkins6

EsophyX TIF A Big Disappointment

No advice, but just to let you know, I feel your pain. My TIF was Deceraber 4th 2009.
    I went off my PPIs for a few weeks, but was chewing tums and sleeping with my head elevated. Finally I gave up and now am back on one omeropzale at night. I occassionally skip a night, but all in all, I guess I had to come to the realization that the TIF was a flop.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi MMhisley,

I had an endo scope and the Dr. saw the bile in my stomach...he said he can tell the difference between acid and bile. I am on my way to a pancreas Dr. to find out why I am having this bile reflux...they say people who have had their gallbladder out get this alot.....I am looking for a surgical fix....so tired of medicines that really don't work.

I hope this helps you.

Love Pink

hawkins6

No stomach pain here...maybe I didn't notice as I was still taking pain pills on day three. Perhaps it has something to do with what you are eating. I lived on milk products for the first week and they tend to keep my stomach under control....milk, milkshakes, puddings, cream of soup. I'm sure you will improve, but if not, be sure to call the doctor. Six weeks after the procedure, I need to keep reminding myself that I am supposed to be "recovering" still...keep the faith, it'll get better. I am able to go without the PPIs for days at a time. My biggest problem is that I had hoped the burning in my gums and mouth were coming from my stomach, but I was wrong and am still in pain with that. Probably has nothing to do with acid reflux, but who knew?

mmhisley

Hello Hawkins6, I am so sorry to hear that the EspohyX TIF has not worked for you and you're back on your PPI (omeropzale). The TIF is a more difficult process to go through than I expected, and the diet restrictions are a real challenge. Sad and disappointing when all the effort does not pay off with the hoped for successful outcome. I am still taking Nexium, as well as something called carafate, which is intended to heal stomach ulcers. The gastroenterologist has not actually said that I have a stomach ulcer and has just called my latest problem gastritis, which is an inflamation of the stomach lining. I have another appointment on Wed., March 10, and hope to know more at that time. At this point, if I could turn the clock back, I would CERTAINLY NOT have had the EspohyX TIF procedure. I think my acid reflux and the TIF procedure is all related to my current problem, which is causing me some daily stomach pain. I just want to feel better and not hurt! Please take care and I wish you, and everyone reading this, the very best.

hawkins6

First of all...yes my insurance company got the final bill (BC/BS ppo) and paid what they had contracted for that service, which was substantially lower than they were billed. It was still incredibly high I thought...like probably around $15,000 for hospital, doctor etc. If you get stuck paying out of pocket, be sure to negotiable a fair price...not sure what that would be. I had my TIF on Dec 4th. After several attempts to go off the PPIs, I think I'm finally able to do that, for the most part. Last week, after eating everything I wanted, good and bad, I only needed to take one pill. I am trying to ward off taking the PPIs by chewing Tums, whyich seems to work some. I haven't eaten tomato sauce or chicken wings or drank wine and probably won't for a while. But I am back on decaf coffee...actually I never went off it, just changed from regular to decaf after the TIF (they gave it to me in the hospital so I figured why not?). I guess it takes awhile longer, even after the restricted diet, for the TIF to make a difference.
    I will follow up with a gastro guy rather than my surgeon, as I don't know what else the surgeon could or would do for me. Any references will be appreciated.

mmhisley

Thanks for your encouraging worRAB. I did call Dr. Bada today and asked about the stomach pain I was having, which seems to be gas. He suggested I try an over-the-counter medication, such as Gas-X, and said this problem should clear up in a week or so. He said I might be swallowing air, which is contributing to the problem. This might be the case because I have been drinking protein drinks using a straw, which, now that I think about it, using a straw can cause air in the stomach.
    Regarding the continued problems you are having with you teeth/mouth... According to one of the brochures I received, "GERD sufferers may experience complications" such as dental erosions. So,would it be possible that your GERD problem did cause your mouth troubles? Perhaps a dentist could recommend something to help?

hawkins6

I don't know exactly how to explain my feelings when I stopped the PPI. It was kind of a loose feeling, like I could go either way...reflux or no reflux. My doctor said to just quit...and when I asked him what next, he said "No more reflux". I believe we have the same surgeon. Now, do you also have a gastro guy? I don't know of a good one in the area. If you do, I'd appreciate the name. I will have to say that as the days go by, I'm feeling less like I could have reflux. The first night I had lasagna it ripped me up inside, just like it used to, but the second and third night (I made a huge pan of it) it didn't really bother me. My first cosmo killed me...I'm afraid to try another..maybe that's a good thing. I really don't know what to expect in the future. I do know that the procedure wasn't the complete answer I thought it would be. I guess it's fine if you live on bland dairy products, but maybe I would have felt fine even without the procedure eating that way.

whitewrightinc

Yesterday I had a jalape

mmhisley

TO KAWKINS6 OR ANYONE ELSE INTERESTED: I have a friend who highly recommenRAB two "outstanding" gastroenterologists. They are brothers in practice together in Venice, FL. Their names are Dr. Tariq Khan and Dr. Jaffer Khan with an office at 8421 Pointe Loop Drive, Venice, FL. The phone nuraber is 941-412-9787. While I have not personally seen either of these doctors yet, my friend says they are "the best"...knowledgeable, experienced, pleasant, professional and caring. Also, Hawkins6, you mentioned "several attempts to go off the PPIs..." That is what I'm dealing with now. What worked for you? Gradually reducing your dosage? Taking a PPI every other day? Quitting cold turkey and toughing it out? I see Dr. Bada (my surgeon) tomorrow and will get his advice, but I'm most interested in what worked for you - or anyone else who has been through this - to get off of the PPIs?

hawkins6

For all you fellow GERD and Acid Reflux sufferers, please think twice before having any surgery, especially the TIF, in hopes of eliminating your ailments. I had mine on Deceraber 4th of this year. The 23 hours in the hospital afterwarRAB were less than pleasant. I have been on a restrictive diet ever since, but as I add more "normal" food, anything with the least bit of spice, I get acid reflex in terms of the acidy taste coming up my esophes and throat. At first I thought it was just a fluke and took some Tums to settle it down. This morning I finally gave up hopes of recovery and went back on my PPIs, Still on the restrictive diet so as not to cause any damage to the procedure, but I am questioning what was the point of all this. I'm pretty much the same as I was before Deceraber 4th, expect that the doctor has a lot of my money and I have gone through a lot of discomfort. I'm not sure how the promotional information can boast "no more pills...eat whatever you want" Anyone have a similar experience?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information