Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rosebloom

Weaning off pantoprazole (ppi)

Long term PPI use is a life saver for some people. There are disoders that cause the stomach to produce excess acid (Zollinger Ellison Syndrome), and, besides surgery to remove an acid producing tumor, there may not be any other remedies but long term PPI use. Otherwise, those folks may end up with esophageal cancer, ulcers and other nasties from the chronic excess acid.

I think, however, that PPI's are overprescribed often, as in my case, without proper follow up. They were considered "safe" drugs until more recent research showed the high positive correlation with fractures and GI infections in long term PPI users.

Heartburn and GERD have existed for centuries and people have managed their symptoms for just as long. My (non-medical) opinion is that PPI's should be prescribed for short term use for a majority of people and their use re-evaluated periodically. I don't think they should be over the counter medications as more people are going to take them without being properly diagnosed by a physician. Most regular folk out there (me included until recently) do not know the difference between a PPI and a H2 blocker either.

In the old days, most people managed heartburn with lifestyle changes, good old bicarbonate of soda, chewing gum, and by avoiding trigger fooRAB.

As far as what medications to use, I suggest a step up approach that begins with lifestyle changes and sporadic use of antiaciRAB. If that does not work, then there are H2 blockers like Zantac and Pepsid AC. If that does not work, then there are the PPI's.

When I was first diagnosed with reflux (via endoscopy), I was prescribed a PPI, told it was absolutely safe, my condition was chronic and I could fortunately take the PPI "forever." I was told to come back in a few years for a follow up endoscopy and to just follow up with my medical doctor who happily refilled my PPI prescription for three years until I decided to stop taking it in January. Nobody informed me of side effects, rebound, acid malabsorption, etc. I am sure those are relatively minor issues compared to what physicians deal with on a regular busy day. Nevertheless, let the customer beware. I started reading and finding all this information on my own.

Rose

janewhite1

I believe ACV is apple cider vinegar. 1 tablespoon of it, possibly diluted with water, is said to help the valve on top of your stomach work better and reduce reflux. It's a commonly cited folk remedy, fairly harmless. I use it myself sometimes.

rosebloom

Jayner:

ACV is apple cider vinegar. I buy the "organic" type that comes with the "mother" like Braggs. I take two tablespoons diluted in a glass of water twice a day sipped through a straw to minimize contact with the teeth. It seems to help, though it takes some getting used to.

Rose

jonnstar

I think that they are looking if they should keep people on them for ever, without ever trying to discontinue them.

GORD is not a disease due to deficiency of omeprazole in the diet!

Courtnay, can I suggest you buy some Rennies, and keep tem in your pocket or handbag at all times, you can suck 1 or 2 as soon as you get any acid symptoms, and control it before it becomes a problem

ladybuglove

I would love to see them discontinue, but not sure what there plan will be.
    I'm only going to be on PPI for a very short 3 months, hope thats not to long. I really don't feel that i need it all that much I burp hardly ever now and have no burn pain or anything. But since he did an enRABocopy and found very mild inflammation I figured Id do a few mths just to give it time to heal.

courtney767

Hello all,

I am new to this board. Wanted to thank everyone who has posted their experiences about weaning off a ppi as it has been helpful to me as I researched how to go about it.

I have been on 40mg/day of Protonix for about 10 years. I started having stomach pain and insomnia after an injury for which I was prescribed high dose ibuprofen. After trying me on various meRAB, Protonix seemed to releive the pain/insomnia and I took it blindly for all this time. I had no clue about the side effects.

Fast forward to now, and as I was researching Protonix's safety during pregnancy, I sturabled across the bone loss issues etc. I am horrified and want off this drug ASAP!

I spoke to my GP who supports my decision to step down and eventually off. The first step was to switch from 40mg every 24 hours to 20mg every 12 hours. The second step, which is where I am at now, is to bump it back to 20mg every 16 hours. I've been advised to allow at least 2 weeks for each change to allow my body to adjust.

I am very optimistic about getting off this drug for good. My lifestyle is quite different than what it was 10 years ago, and I suspect that I never had anything more than some post ibuprofen damage. I am not really overweight, my stress levels are very low and my diet is reasonably healthy. I am trying to conceive, which may force me to push this process a bit faster, but for now I am happy to take it one step at a time.

Anyway, thanks for reading. I am really grateful for the support and shared experiences!

janewhite1

Ladybuglove: I don't think that there's a movement against ALL use of PPI's! And I don't think there should be. For people with very serious stomach conditions, they can be a literal lifesaver. It's possible that the first month or so I was on them, I really needed them.

However, some doctors are now trying to manage milder problems without resorting to PPI's and trying to limit the length of use. Before, they'd just say, "Take 'em as long as you need 'em, there's no harm in it." Now, some are recognizing that there is potential harm in using them for years and years, so the goal is to taper people off after letting the digestive system heal somewhat.

jayner1

Got it thank you for the response. I am trying that tonite.

jonnstar

And thats exactly what the drug companys want rose - a person with an ulcer who takes omeprazole for 4 weeks doesnt make them much cash, neither does a person with a flareup of heartburn who takes it for a month, then goes back to simpler remedies.

They get rick off of people taking their PPI's day in, day out, year after year - they pushed them hard that way to doctors and I am sure they still do.

90c2cab

Just my 2 cents. Have you looked a Manuka Honey, also a mild diet with some baking soda and water twice a day, should cure mild stomach inflamation.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information