Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    hawkins6

EsophyX TIF - one year later

I had an interested day today at the surgical center, where I went for a followup endoscopy to find out why I continued to have reflux after my TIF one year ago. The endoscopy was done by my new gastro doctor in Venice FL, who I have a lot of trust and respect for. Seems that my surgeon in Port Charlotte FL wasn't able to successful perform the proceduce due to the fact that I have a large hiatal hernia. He was only able to reduce half of my esochagus. This all came as a surprise to me since I was told the surgery was a success and that I did not have a hernia. Each time I complained to him that my reflux wasn't improving he told me to "wait another month and come back to see him. (IE $$$$) The good news is that the TIF did no harm. The bad news is that I still have acid reflux, the TIF was not appropiate for my acid reflux condition and that I missed all the good food last Christmas because I was on my 8 week liquid diet. What I was reminded of today, is that you need to really do your homework before choosing a doctor. My new doctor feels that the TIF is too new of a procedure to know if it is safe and effective. Guess I should have known better that to go to a surgeon who advertised "No more heartburn, no more pills, eat whatever you want" on a billboard. I might have just as soon bought some snake oil!

janewhite1

I'm sorry you went through all that and didn't get relief! And I'm so glad you've found a different doctor who gave you the truth.

What is the current treatment plan? Surgery again? Or did he have another idea?

hawkins6

No plan yet. I have an appointment with the doctor in a week. I won't go through the TIF again. First of all, now I know that it will not correct my problem. Also, due to health insurance changes, I cannot afford any kind of surgery to correct the problem. For the past year, I have taken my prilosec, not eaten anything after 6:00 at night and for the most part, been under control. Guess that will be my future plan. My real hope is to find others in SW FL who might be considering the TIF with the same doctor I used and make them aware of the pitfalls. Thanks for your comments.

gecko.hale

I'm really sorry your doctor was a snake, too. And so sorry you went through all that pain for nothing.

But having said that, I had a laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication 7 years ago that failed after about 3 years, and am scheduled to have the TIF2 procedure in 2 days. The lap Nissen was terrible, I had painful esophageal spasms for 10 months, dumping, and lost over 50 pounRAB. The TIF sounRAB like a snap in comparison. Results are about the same according to several studies that have been done; i.e., no Nissen Fundoplication is perfect, the success rate is far from 100% and they all eventually fail. But redoing (or undoing) a TIF is not a big deal; for a lap Nissen it can be very difficult if not impossible.

But I ALWAYS find out everything I can about any surgery, even if it is with a doctor I trust (which this will be). < edited > their brochures/documents that clearly state the TIF can only be done if any hiatal hernia is so there was no way he could NOT have known you were not a candidate for the surgery. Maybe you could get help from a free site to sue at least for payment for all your medical costs for that surgery.

The < edited > website also had an email, so I emailed them with a whole list of questions ... and got a quick response from their Program Development Manager. We also spoke on the phone and he answered all our questions about the device, how different things worked, how they actually did some of the steps in the procedure, any adverse problems they had ever had since FDA approval in 2007, what the possible side affects and complications might be, post-surgical diet questions, etc. He was very forthright.

I would definitely suggest to anyone considering any surgery, particularly a new one, to check it out in advance. < edited > One note is that some information on the net, including the endogastricsolutions.com site, neeRAB to be updated; it is not keeping up with their technology changes. For example, they no longer recommend nasotracheal intubation, but you will still find that in various documents and studies.

Anyway, glad your GERD is holding at least somewhat in control and hope it continues. I just want to get off the PPIs as I have been on them way too long at too high a dose -- and it seems like something comes out every month about a new problem with them.

gecko.hale

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't see your other posts, just the one about contacting other people interested in TIF. I am new so have not read all the posts on EsophyX yet.

And I will probably have quite a few complaints myself after tomorrow (and not just the pain, which I am quite sensitive to), but because I was told somewhat different things by the EsophyX guy (apparently I am not supposed to say the company that makes the EsophyX) & their website (out of date), and then by my doctor. The EsophyX guy didn't know a lot about the diet restrictions other than it takes about 12 days for the plication serousal tissues to fuse, so he said the diet is most important during that time and after that just take it easy. But my doctor said it really doesn't matter a lot and to just be careful not to eat hard rough fooRAB the first few days. But having had a Nissen before, I will probably stick to the website diet, as I know I had a difficult time eating before and there were no fasteners in my stomach & esophagus.

My doctor did all his training, internship & residency at Colurabia University College of Physicians & Surgeons, UCLA Depart of Surgery & Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. He was Chief of Surgery at Cedars-Sinai and then a Senior Surgeon @ Bassett Healthcare in NY performing general surgical procedures and endoscopies, advanced laparoscopic surgeries and surgical endoscopy. He's a meraber of the Society of American Gastroendoscopic Surgeons. He came to Hawaii in 2005 and created their advanced laparoscopic suite for minimal invasive surgeries. (The above are just general colleges and medical centers, so I hope that they are not disallowed).

That's how I selected him as my surgeon -- I looked at where he trained, interned, served as a resident and then where he practiced. There was no one else on this island who had anywhere near his credentials. He could have STILL been a big failure, of course, but I felt I had a better chance with that kind of history than with someone who had spent their entire medical life in one place.

But I agree with you -- even meeting the doctor, talking to him, even seeing him several times, it really doesn't matter. Because he can be charming and seem very interested, kind & caring ... and then when it comes right down to it (when you really need him to be there for you, like surgery or when you are truly sick, or are in pain and really need help), he can turn into a true ass. I have had it happen over and over, unfortunately. These 2 surgeries will be my 21st & 22nd (I have several autoimmune disorders, 5 of these were for IC, several were for breast lumps, 3 were for cervical dysplasia/CIN) -- and MOST of them have been traumatic. Not just in the surgical aspects themselves, but in the treatment by the surgeon afterwarRAB. With most surgeons, once the surgery is over they consider their job finished and your problems are your problems, not theirs. I've only had a few doctors I've really felt were really good -- all the way to the end. So I can't really give you much advice there. They are good or ok if you don't really need them, but when you do need them .... watch out! I'm generally not fond of doctors nor hospitals, as you might have gathered.

I'm not the suing type, either. And most of the time it is just a waste of time and effort. Even if you are right, it doesn't mean you will get justice. My sister was hospitalized for 2 months plus another 4 months in nursing homes because the hospital really bungled her care. A lawyer told us we could sue the hospital, but we wouldn't get anything: she was still alive (even tho physically & mentally damaged), she was old (62), she was single (no family to be deprived; sisters don't count), and some other similar stuff I no longer remeraber. Now getting the other patients he did who he also screwed and getting a corabined case could probably get you somewhere if you have the time, patience, and determination. Most cases in the US seem to take forever to come to trial, but maybe medical malpractice cases are quicker. Civil cases I've seen start just before the 5-year limit.

Thanks for your good wishes. I am scared to death about doing these 2 surgeries together tomorrow, but my doctor says it will be better this way. Might increase the pain, but will only have to go through the recovery once. Actually, I am more worried about the epigastric hernia repair than the TIF. Trying to figure out how you breathe or move when surgical mesh is clipped to your ribs, then sutured to your ribs, diaphragm and stomach. I really don't like pain.

hawkins6

Please note that I apologized for all my negative comments on the TIF. I did the research before having it done and was sure that was a good thing. What I didn't do is find a trustworthy doctor. It's hard for me to find out which doctors are good and which aren't. Even talking with patients doesn't always work because a doctor can talk a good game, but not follow through. This particular surgeon did a lot of advertising and seminars in our area. I though he must be good if he was that knowledgeable about the subject. The day he did mine, he did 4 others also. I wasn't until last week, when I saw the pics of my most current endoscopy showing how only half my opening had been tucked to try to shrink the opening that I knew I'd been screwed. My current gastro guy pointed out the unacceptable work. I asked if I could have caused the damage myself by throwing up the day after the procedure and he said it was possible, but not probable, but even so, he said that any responsible doctor would have investigated by another endoscopy to be sure the procedure was done correctly. Might sue, but am not really a fan of suing doctors, but in this case, if I could somehow find that others have been duped, like me, I would consider it. Good luck with your TIF

hawkins6

Good luck tomorrow. I'm sure all will go well and that you have a good surgeon...you seem to have researched it thoroughly. As far as the TIF diet, EsophyX (why aren't you supposed to say the company name...that makes me leary...they recommended a rather strict 8 week diet. The first two weeks you are only allowed liquiRAB...soup brooth, milkshakes, juices, etc. The next few weeks they add squash, mashed potatoes etc and the very end, after 8 weeks, they let you eat meat. You mean to tell me they don't even use that one anymore? Brother...first I have a bogus operation, that I suffer on liquiRAB etc for 8 weeks and now they change it?? I Have been had! Best of luck...I'll be praying for you.

sandysage

Best of luck on your surgery.

Please post and let us know how you did once you are feeling better.

My doctor said that I may be a good candidate for this procedure and I know very little about it.

Take care!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information