Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    karm0099

Spironolactone using please reply

Hello - I am going to ask my Dr. for spiro tomorrow. I've read several reference books and researched online and am convinced my acne is from androgens, possibly I'm very sensitive to testosterone and need to block it and the resulting DHT. Spiro inhibits the activity of the 5-alpha reductase enzyme, thereby reducing the production of androgens in the ovaries and adrenal glanRAB. I went off bc pills 4 months ago, and was hoping I would get through with minimal breakouts, but unlucky me - my face is a mess.

Could those out there that take spiro for acne give me any advice on talking to my Dr., and how much to ask for at a minimum. I talked to him before and he did hear of spiro for acne, but said he would need to check it out. I've done the research and want to try it, I'm worried he is going to shoot me down. Please let me know of successes and/or failures using spiro, how long it will take, how much I should take, etc . . . and if anyone has experienced hair loss due to the hormone problem causing by androgen sensitivity, and if the spiro can help that as well.

Right now I am taking saw palmetto (just started yesterday) and mega b-complex to try and reduce the oil, it's unfortunately affecting my hair. So not only is it falling out, it's dryer than usual. Any info helpful.

Thanks!

mommaoftwinsplus1

Here are my comments on spiro....

I used to stress out and obsess about my skin. I was in my late 20's when I got cystic acne. I tried everything except accutane. BCP, Bp, proactive, tea tree oil, all anti-biotics, special diets, you name it, I tried it!! Well over 2 years ago I asked my Dr. to prescribe Spironolactone to me and to my surprise I am 99% clear. I don't even need to wear makeup to leave the house. Before I would not even let my Hubby see me without makeup.

Spiro has been my "miracle"! I am on 100mg a day. No side effects! I don't even think, worry, stress about acne anymore. Maybe once a month I will get a tiny little blemish. Not too mention it is cheap....even if you don't have insurance.

My skin is smooth and blemish free. I just use Dove soap to cleanse, apply purpose oil free moisturizer, take spiro and I am clear! No harsh drying creams!

Good luck,
    Mommaoftwinsplus1~~~

sidraz7

I think I got excited way to fast and now I am probably going to use anti-biotics for a few weeks with spiro. I've been hearing that bactrim is good? && I was just wondering goosepimples and karm009 - how do you guys take spiro? do you take 25mg after several hours throughout the day? or do you guys take the entire dose you were prescribed at one time?

sidraz7

I've only started Spiro this week and after reading both of your posts.. i'm beginning to get really worried :/ i just hope it works. I'll definitely keep you guys posted.

mommaoftwinsplus1

Please keep this post going. Spiro has changed my life~I want others to see this thread!

jill60

I take 100mg of Spiro for water retension, maybe the nose bleeRAB are signs it is drying you out too much, it is also used for high blood pressure. I have not had any side effects at all.

Jill

skimom

I think that some doctors do not know about it yet. It's considered an off-label use since it's primary use is for hirsutism and it started off as a high blood-pressure medicine. Some insurance companies won't pay for it because it's an off-label drug for acne. Some day maybe they will all catch on. I had to teach my daughter's derm about it about a year ago and now he is prescribing it more. Anyway, just thought I would throw that in there

karm0099

Goosepimples and sidraz7 hang in there!! I'm almost to 3 full months and it's getting better - slowly. I do have one biggie on my chin right now, and had to see a dr. b4 I went on vacation 04/25 to inject some new ones coming up. My skin is getting progressively better, takes time. Goosepimples, the melesma (*spelling?) is from the mino and the bcp. I couldn't get rid of my "patchiness" until I went off both those things. Ask your dr. for doxy instead, and maybe change to a different brand of bcp - are you on yasmin?

My skin is looking better all the time, with a few setbacks now and then that make me wonder about this stuff. My dr. said he treats another woman w/spiro and it took 4 months for full effect and he is going to keep her on it until she reaches menopause to keep adult acne for us women sensitive to testosterone under control.

It's been about 10 days since your last post - any better either of you ??

Talk to you soon -

goosepimples

so this weekend has come and gone and i have seen no improvement. i didn't leave my house most of the weekend (though studying for final exams was a good excuse). I think I am going to call my dermatologist tomorrow. I don't have an appointment for another month but I don't want to wait that long. My boyfriend is graduating from law school and I am going to meet his family for the first time---and will be mortified if my face still looks like this. I have heard that many people have found that using an antibiotic while beginning spiro works wonders--Bactrim seems to work especially well according to some other boarRAB. I am going to ask my derm if she can prescribe me Bactrim over the phone. I wonder if this will work? Last time (when she prescribed the spiro) was the first time I had gone to that particular derm. but she seemed very nice. I just hope she understanRAB how badly i need help. Have any of you tried Bactrim before? Have you ever had a derm prescribe something via phone? I am def. calling tomorrow....wish me luck.

sidraz7

I think I'm almost hitting my two month mark on using Spiro and it is definitely working! =) I'm really happy except my skin has dried out alot and my frienRAB recommended that i get a tinted moisturizer. Do any of you know any good ones that are safe to use? As happy as I am with the spiro working and all, my menstural cycle is completely out of sync now =/ i never use to have my period for more then 5 days and now it came for 10 days and started again one week later =/... i heard that going on BCP's help regulate menstural cycles for pple who are on spiro? i'm probably going to start taking yasmine within a week. are any of you on yasmine? i've heard its the best one to use. any advice would really help =)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information