Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: RF Ablation

lynn1961

RF Ablation

thank you Kera, for explaining. It makes much sense now. The doc did say the pain could be coming from the tears and the facet joints < if I remeraber right> It is very frustrating to me....I am usually a very active person. Not only is it frustrating, it is very depressing. I am doing everything the doctors suggest, yet I feel this is getting hopeless. I know I havent given this RF abalation enough time yet. Just so aggravated today.I sit here and look around and see so many things I need to do and I do what I can but there is so much more to be done in my house

SKZ

RF Ablation

The only thing I was ever told after getting any type of injections was that there was a risk of infection if you went in the water, but it was OK after 48 hrs. I will make sure and ask!

kera4

RF Ablation

Dear Lynn, I totally understand about having to rest after the RF, and looking at all the stuff in your house that neeRAB to be done. It is SO frustrating! I always would rest for a while then get up and do what I could, then rest again....aaargh. Sometimes I would lay on my back on the couch and fold a bunch of laundry, with the basket on the floor. After a RF, my kiRAB know to come right to the couch for help with homework or to read/play games. Hang in there, every few days the area that was burned is healing, and you will feel a bit better. After a couple weeks of recovery, I always feel a lot better. And then by one month after the procedure it is pretty good. Good luck to everyone, and have a restful weekend Kera4

kera4

RF Ablation

Hi! I have had the RF done a total of 4 or 5 times over the years. My doctor said you can continue to repeat this procedure, as long as nothing else goes wrong (I guess he means like a bad herniation). I have a form of arthritis in the spine called "spondylitis," which is kind of like rheumatoid arthritis, but mostly concentrates in the spine. It affects the facet joints, L3-L5 and my sacroiliac joints. I also have a bulging disc (degenerated) at L5-S1. I have not had any back surgery, just the RF and cortisone injections.

One thing about the levels-my doctor said it is best to do the level above the one you are having pain in as well, because the pain nerves intertwine. So, I have arthritis at L5-S1 and L4-L5, but he burns L3 as well because there are pain nerves from L3 that send signals to L4. Does that make sense? I don't know if I am explaining that super clearly. It seems very usual to have L5-L3 done together if you have more than one level involved. You might ask your doctor about that-you are right, it is very important to get the right levels done, or you might be left with pain. My doctor also does both sides, even though most all my inflammation (as seen on MRI) is on the left side.

Let me know if you have more questions-unfortunately, I have had too much experience with this procedure Take care, Kera 4

SKZ

RF Ablation

I have had this procedure 2 times and am getting it next Monday myself (4 levels on both sides). The first time I got it, it helped amazingly. During the procedure I had some sedation, but remeraber the entire thing. I was asked questions to give the Dr. feedback during the procedure so he could be as accurate as possible.I had to change Drs. and got it again, a year later (last summer). It did not help me at all. He put me in a heavier sedation, therefore not asking for my feedback. I am sure he didnt get the correct spots. This NEW Dr. that I am using for my 3rd time is going to ask me questions for feedback the whole time, so I have high hopes for this one. The last 2 Drs. did one side at a time, so I had to come back twice, which was a pain. This Dr. is doing it all at once. Make sure you are going to answer questions and not put out. That is my biggest piece of advice. The first one I recuperated very very quickly. The 2nd moron dr. must have really did a job on me, because he made me worse. I have researched this procedure a lot and the standard is to ask the patient for feedback during the procedure. I should have known that last quack Dr. was going to do a bad job. In my initial consultation he spent 45 mins. debating health care reform with me as he left other pain patients to wait. OY

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information