Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    saberthiaume

Axialif Procedure/Trans 1 procedure

I had the AxiaLif procedure on March 19th. I think so far the recovery has been OK. I have had more left leg pain since the procedure but the back pain is much better. I was also told the pain in the leg would take time to heal. I just want to get off the pain meRAB, but every time I try to cut down the pain increases to the point where I have to go back on them.

janiee08

Hello, my name is Janiee and I have Failed Back Surgery Syndrome. This is the term we use here in the states when one has any kind of fusion surgery and comes out of it being worse than before (me), or the same as before surgery. This evening, I read this entire thread and noticed something missing. I could be mistaken, but I did'nt notice any of you who posted being on a med for your peripheral neurapathy pain. These meRAB are usually anti-seizure meRAB and the most popular one's we use here are Lyrica, Neurontin(Gabapentin), and Topamax. Sometimes a corabination of Cyrabalta and a low dose of Neurontin is also being used. This is what worked best for me; but everyone is different. They all give you side effects in the beginning, but gradually lessen over time. Most of these meRAB have to be titrated (increased) up every month to a certain therapeutic level for them to help the pain that many of you have in your rear end, legs, feet, and toes. Narcotics do very little for this type of pain. Well, just a thought. Maybe you are on these meRAB but just didn't mention it. I also notice that most of you are from the U.K., so I'll send you a wave:wave: from across the pond....janiee

mksdks3

Thank you very much for your reply! I believe you are giving much insight to the actual recovery. I, like you, read all the testimonies on the website and have high expectations. The closer it gets the more "real" it gets! I am trying to prepare my husband and daughter that this might be a bigger deal than what we have been lead to believe. I have told my employer I will be back to work in 15 days, (which is what the website says) and I am now doubting that I will return in that time frame. Again, thank you so much for your time in posting. I am not chaning my mind, I am trudging ahead! As bad as I feel today, I would let them do the procedure today! Keep up posted with your recovery!

plaza player

Hi Grundy, I have tried finding a way of PM you, but unable to find a way of doing it. My Name is Plaza Player on here because its easier for me to remeraber. Its My poker name online.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, and I was unaware of you being in the UK. Basically I have to wait now till the 26th Feb to see the surgeon/consultant ( same person ).....
    I did try and get the doctor to authorise a MRI to try and safe a bit of time, but he phoned yesterday to tell me he can not authorise one. Its got to come from a specalist.
    I refuse to get dependent on the pills to kill the pain, and often refuse to take them 3 times a day. I dont want to just waste my day feeling drowsy all day which is what happens when I take them 3 times a day.
    The amitripalyne I have been taking from before the op, and I think its to help with the depression side of things, and I have been told its to help me sleepas well. The Diazepan is not really a problem for me, It does kill the pain and would not have a problem coming off it.
    I must say your last post doesnt read good for my next 10 months though, but I am glad you took the time to reply. Of course I will know more when I have spoken to her on my next visit in 2 weeks. But you know the NHS...... I wont be holding out for a miracle too soon.
    I just carry on and see what happens, until that time. I just carry on taking the medication and reading posts on here. Least I know I am not alone though.

Johnwr

I'm new to this board, but wondered if you ever had the Axialif procedure done. Were there replies to your message a year ago? How can I see what others had to say? I can't seem to find any replies.

Thanks. Johnwr

plaza player

Hi LeAnne, It seems you have the same problem I have. You have 1 month more recovery on me, and from what I read and with Grundy's post I am really not looking forward to the future....
    I have my Hospital appointment on the 26th and I assume I will have another scan pretty soon after this date. I will point out all the pains, and there very sim to yours. I feel I am in double the amount of pain than before this op. But I had to seen to be doing every I can to get better because of the claim from the accident at work. I was hesitent and didnt really fancy anything done.
    I did all the research before hand and refused the Plif I think its called, but then heard of this AxiaLif, which is a small cut and nothing can really go wrong......
    The worst part for me at the moment is the amount of painkillers I have to take, the side effect of course I feel like a zorabie all day..... I can not win.
    Hopefully I will find some more answers in 2 weeks. But there are few Nurosurgeons in the UK that have the experience in this OP.
    I have now been off work 20 Months, so you think you have money problems....
    But I promised myself at the start of the year not to be to down hearted on things, and at the moment I am doing just that. I have good days I have bad days. Bad days I take the pills and then the days goes by because I sleep most of it.... Good days I struggle along maybe missing 1 lot of pills so I can have some sort of normal life.
    But I have now got my heart set on the 26th Feb when I go back. So nothing will get me down till that day......

Jdonn

Thanks for the updates. Glad to hear things are progressing reasonably well. I am scheduled for the Axialif surgery this Friday (Oct 2). I will post on my experience as soon as I can.

mksdks3

well, well, well...much more than what i expected! Keep in mind that my dr. said I could leave the hospital in less than 24 hours...no one told me that I would have a pain pump, catheter, oxygen for 24 hours after my surgery! I ended up staying in the hospital 3 full days and was thrilled to be there! The pain is not bad, but the exhaustion is exhausting! My surgery was two weeks ago today. I am up and about and actually drove a car today! I am pushing to gain strength as I am planning on returning to work next Monday. As far as back pain,it has been very tolerable. I tried to stop the Percocet on day 10 & that didn't work. I still have to take one every 4 hours. I am taking a muscle relaxer at bedtime. As of now, I am very glad I had the procedure done. I will see my dr. at 3 months & they will check for bone growth. Thanks so much for asking about me. You are the only person I have talk to that has had the Axialif procedure. Let me know how you are doing too. (Sorry if I rarable...it seems I sometimes have hard time putting a coherent sentence together and typing a sentence is even harder!)

plaza player

Hey,
    No, infact since that last post, the last 3 weeks have been hell.
    I started going down when walking, like I been shot.
    1st week just the once, 2nd week twice and last week was at least 20 times.
    Anyway on the Saturday just gone, I went to the chemist to get my medication and the chemist told me to go off to hospital, because I should not be collasping like I am.
    I went to Physio this Monday and had already gone down 4 times during the day, and explained this, and she also told me to go to the hospital.
    So I did, and 2 hrs later I was back home. I was told this is not there problem but Orthapedic's.
    I was then told that my MRI was missing from the files and no-one knows where it is.
    I emailed my surgeon only to find she is on leave now till next Thursday.
    Went to docs today, and was told that I had to keep moving, regardless of me collasping, because the worse thing in the world to do was lie in bed and seize up, because then the problems really start.
    I have been referred to a pain management clinic now, so waiting for that to come through now.
    I have my normal appointment with my surgeon on the 30th so have to grin and bare it till then.
    Grundy who did your Op plz?

mksdks3

I posted the same message today. I didn't see your post. It doesn't seem that many people have had this procedure. My neurosurgeon has done approx. 220 procedures. I would like to hear from someone who has gone thru the procedure. Was there a lot of pain after the surgery? What activities were they allowed? Those type questions.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information