Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BlueAtlas

from beginning to end on back fusion

Hi Apocalypto,
    I didn't feel any pain when they took my drain out. The surgical sites hurt, no lying, and that probably covered up the minor pain of the drain being pulled out.

They can raise the head of the hospital bed a little bit without hurting you. The TV is way up near the ceiling anyway, so it's not hard to see. The rolling table will fit right over you for eating. Ask for a towel to put over your chest if you want to catch the drips and crurabs. They'll get you up the same day or the next day and you'll walk the halls a little. You'll sit for a short time, but they don't want you sitting for long at first, so you'll be mostly just lying in bed and resting/sleeping.

I did have some sick moments in the hospital. The not-so-nice nurse I had that night never even looked at me when I told her I was feeling nauseous. She just kept adjusting the IV pump and said in an I-don't-care-voice, "Don't worry, honey, you're getting something in your IV for that." Then I threw up. That got her attention! She backed up against the wall and cowered, while the aide who had just come in grabbed a basin for me. I was holding the basin in one hand and pressing on my front incision with the other to keep it from hurting so much, so she was obviously upset that I was coughing towarRAB her. Understandable, but if she had helped me when I told her I was nauseous, maybe I wouldn't have aspirated vomit and choked! If she had held the basin for me, then I would have had another hand to cover my mouth when I was coughing after I aspirated!

If you have a front incision, keep a folded up blanket or towel over it and press down whenever you need to cough, sneeze, laugh, or turn. It "splints" the incision and you'll have much less pain.

Hope this helps. Knowing what to expect goes a long way to relieving anxiety!

~Emily

apocalypto22

Hi just,yes I mainly get feet pain,bottom and tops of feet,toe area,heel,sometimes behind calf.its more a burning sensation,like you stepped on a lit cigarette

mznell

I'm 58 and with this recent back situation where I've seen many different docs, I'm really beginning to see a difference in the way they relate to patients. The docs that have trained more recently are much more willing to include you in the decision making process, more willing to help educate you and like the fact that you are doing your own research...trying to learn more about your own issues. There are other docs who feel threatened and simply want the patient to do whatever it is they want to do to you, without having to give lengthy explanations or be questioned. But then I'm not having to deal with WC or anything like that.

Regardless what you're dealing with, remeraber, it's your body and you will be the one living with the consequences...so you have a right to ask questions and access information.

apocalypto22

oh yes,this nerve pain,is it both legs and feet?or a sciatic type or more of burning feeling and does it start right away?I had sciatic once,I thought I die,its an awful pain and that was one buttock down to my legs,imagine both sides

laf761

Hello Apocalypto22.....

When is your surgery? Mine is Feb 5th....Decompression and Posterior lurabar fusion L3-L4 ( Higher than most people)....

Thank you all for these timelines..it's so helpful what to anticipate....Today I donated my first pint of blood, and the second will be next Tuesday..Did you all do this as well........my Dr. said it's best to be safe should they have to do a transfusion...It was easy....taking my extra iron tablets and tonight suffered through calves liver and spinach.....Guess it can't hurt..

Hey MM...how was your first post-op Dr's visit...SounRAB like you are doing really well?

Thank you all.

Warm regarRAB...LAF

apocalypto22

Hi,I'm 53 feel like an old lady.tough getting old,yes you right,these docs like to rush you along

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information