Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    andrea1965

2 Level Fusion and Brace

Hey Paula,

Just found your thread here. Good luck on your surgery and your recovery! I can relate to your concerns about the TLSO Brace as I am currently in a CTLSO (same as the one you will be in but with a metal neck brace attached to the top of the hard shell for cervical support and restriction!) so feel free to commiserate with me and swap stories, fashion tips , etc (ha, ha --lol)

Be well and good luck

Andrea

paula456

2 Level Fusion and Brace

Emily, you'll find this funny. Those of us in the east have been having this lovely heatwave, and the AC in my car isn't working. I'd limp my way out of work, lower myself into my steamy Neon, and drive the 40 miles home in the hot car, sweating up a storm. I'd get home, get out of the Neon, and say WOW, I feel GREAT! It took me 2 days to realize it was the hour of unrelenting heat in the car. Far better then a heating pad. I've been thinking of installing a sauna at home...

Thank you guys, I'm really glad I asked this question as I hadn't seen a mention of a brace on the board thus far, and was starting to feel alone. Research kept mentioning a brace and how it's worn, but I was a bit startled to see my doctor has me in it all the time with shower restrictions for 2 months because he doesn't want me upright with it off until then, or until he sees a callous start to form. If I had been seeing him longer I could have asked these questions, but I've only seen him once and although we spent 45 minutes chatting it was about my condition, his qualifications, how he does the procedure, etc. I had been seeing another doctor up until then - the one who wanted me to continue PT even though I am bone on bone between L5/S1 and was getting full body muscle spasms from any bending activities. You know, the one I just found out was a drinker...

Thankfully my current surgeon has the orthotics guy go over all this. The orthotics guy will be coming to the hospital the day after surgery, after they remove the drain, and will be placing the brace on me then, before they allow me out of bed.

It's also nudged my memory, of when I was a kid and a classmate might disappear for a year or so, and you'd hear they had surgery and were out of school and in a body cast. I realize now they were being treated for scoliosis, had a fusion, and in the days before good plastics, were actually kept in a cast the entire time. I decided being able to open it and sponge bath was far better then that and I shouldn't complain.

:jester:

paula456

2 Level Fusion and Brace

Thanks Emily! It's good to hear from someone who was treated the same way post-op. Yeah, I keep hearing very good things about this doctor from everyone who asks who my surgeon will be. This is extraordinary because people in this area are inclined to go to NYC or Phili for serious surgery. My own GP thinks this surgeon is tops in his field.

I am working up to the day before surgery, and although sitting all day is extremely difficult it's helping keep my mind off it. Sorta.

gijuie

2 Level Fusion and Brace

Hey there Paula, you responded to one of my posts but right now I can't even find it. I am having similar surgery on june 30th, L4-L5_S1, & filled in in the front with cadaver bones, & yes I had to go for my casting this past tuesday, I too am very nervous. Also the guy who did the casting also told me very good things about the 2 surgeons I am having. & I am suppose to wear the brace for 3 months, here in Cleveland Ohio it is always very hot in the summer, we have picked a very bad time of the year for this but I know I can't wait anylonger, the funny thing is I have been having very good back days lately, which really makes me wonder but not enough to stop me from doing this. I am wishing you the very best, & hoping maybe your hubby will post for you so we all know how you are doing? My thoughts & prayers are with you.
    gijuie:angel:

paula456

2 Level Fusion and Brace

Hi gijuie! I know it'll be the summer for recovery but I can air condition my house and since I'm in the mountains it won't be too hot outside. My other choice takes my recovery into the winter and once again, since I'm in the mountains, it's possible that storms will keep me from even getting to appointments, and the risk of slipping on ice or snow is too great. I did consider delaying it, but then a week ago everything got much worse and now I'm as ready for surgery as I might ever be.

I'm glad you're having good days right now, and good luck to both of us! Mine is on the 24th.

Paula :jester:

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information