Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    LaVanity

Husband had spine fusion surgery, have a question

My husband had spine fusion surgery for herniated disk and he will be going to rehab before he comes home, for maybe a week. He is having a little trouble walking. He has been lightheaded (he hasn't eaten much), blood pressure up a bit and I am wondering if this is normal? Thanks

BlueAtlas

I had lightheadedness for the opposite reason, low blood pressure. It was a reaction to the anesthesia. My doctors made me use a walker for the first 6 weeks after I got home because I was tending to black out with not much warning.

Anesthesia, pain medications, and stress (like having major surgery )can all do weird things to our bodies, including raising blood pressure. I'm sure they'll be monitoring him. It's really not that unusual.

Have you found the sticky noted thread at the top of the page called "post surgery tips"? It has a lot of very helpful tips to make your husband's recovery easier. Make sure he has a good quality grabber tool. You'll both be glad for him to have a little independence within his recovery limitations. Putting a satiny bottom sheet on the bed will make it easier and less painful for him to turn. Put a plastic garbage bag on the seat of the car for his ride home from the hospital. Same principal as the sheet: he can slide to turn instead of having to lift his weight.

I wish you both the best as he goes through his recovery. If you have any other questions, we'll do our best to help.

Been there, done that!
    Emily

LaVanity

Thank you for the reply and help . I will check out the sticky. Thanks again for the well wishes and info

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information