Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    marshrose

My surgeries this Monday-Fusion

Ohh boy I am getting ready for surgery- 1 level (L4-5) fusion on Monday. EgaRAB! I am nervous! I'm fighting a cold too, I'm going to my reg dr this morning to ensure I can still have surgery, I think it's passing at least. I gotta pack some comfy clothes they said for around the hospital, and slippers.

Wish me luck! I'll try and post back as soon as I can when I'm done and back home!

What were the tips and tricks for going to the bathroom after surgery? Last time I didn't go for 2 weeks-prune juice and magnesia and stool softners did squat, and started getting fevers then my bowels finally woke back up. Wasn't a pretty picture. But I also couldn't urinate after surgery for 3 days due to the reherniation as they look back at the big picture so maybe this time it won't be so bad I dunno.

lynn1961

Rose....good luck to you and I hope all goes great for you.....just try to relax best you can!!!!!OH goodness, get that cold better NOW....I am post op a lil over 2 1/2 months and got a cold and OMG....hurts like he** to cough and sneeze. I can only imagine what that feels like with a fresh incision so get wellllllll.

OMG...let me tell you.....I had ALIF and my vascular surgeon told me that it would take several months for my bowels to get straightened out after surgery. He was so right. Because they move your organs out the way, it messes your bowel movements up. I had a horrible time. And of course the pain meRAB dont help that part neither but you have to have pain relief. Get you some Miramax and SennaK kot. You can get both at most all pharmacies. The miramax was not bad at all. You mix a cap full in a glass of water and you cannot taste the stuff. Taste like you are drinking a glass of water for real. If any medication taste bad....im out. I cant drink it lol And most all liquid laxatives taste nasty to me. Makes me gag even lol I dont really care for prune juice so the miramax was ok. It is kind of expensive but so worth it. I will NEVER forget the time I had with that LOL I was freaking miserable to say the least! Again....good luck to you and come back on and let us know how you are doing....God bless...

LYNN

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good luck Rose!!!! You will be in my thoughts and prayers on Monday! Post as soon as you can and GOOD LUCK!!!! I don't go until April 7th so you will have to keep me posted on what it is like

JanKR

Hey Rose,
    Will be thinking of you on Monday and sending you warm fuzzies for recovery.

As far as the post-op bowel regimen, I used a stool softener that I bought over the counter at the pharmacy. It worked somewhat in the first weeks after surgery, but didn't really get back to "normal" for a few weeks (and I think that was because I was cutting back on the pain meRAB and finally clearing the residual effects of the anesthesia). Do you have a toilet seat riser? I used mine for a good two months post-op. Our toilets are really low so I had my designated "throne" with the riser.

Keep us posted as soon as you feel up to it.
    Best wishes, Jan.

BlueAtlas

Hey Roses,
    Someone on here swears by Bing cherries. I did prunes and Colace. Maybe have a few different things available so you can switch to something else if one thing doesn't work.

Keep yourself as busy as you can between now and Monday. I know those nerves! It does help to keep your mind on something else.

Hang in there, sweetie! It'll be over before you know it and you'll be on the other side of surgery, just resting and recovering!

Emily :wave:

marshrose

Thanks everyone! I can get surgery, they said a virus passing that mostly has besides my exhaustion now. I'm just trying to clean up and get things in as much order as I can before tomorrow UGH!

Thanks for the bowel ideas, I'm goingto get miramax hopefully today doesn't sound so bad. I already have the prune juice and some dried flavored cherry prunes too but, either way I don't think my bowels will get going, last time was aweful until 2 weeks later I went like 9x in a day, yes, that was even more aweful.

I dont have anything/cane/toilet riser/walker, they said I'd be evaluated after surgery to see what I will need before they send me home.

Will post when I'm able to, luckily I have a laptop and wireless connection so I don't haveto sit, just lay and try to type. Last time I couldn't even have the laptop on my legs they were so sensitive (prior to 1st surgery), so we'll see how it goes.

I do remeraber after my first surgery realizing my bed was too high, we'll see if that's still going to be a problem and if I'm going to need a step stool or not.

All I can say is, I'm tired and want this nightmare over and maybe for one be on a road to recovery instead of reherniated speed bumps!

Talk soon!! TYTY for the warm wishes!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information