I am driving a first generation CR-V and even though it is ugly, I like the general style of the mini suv/crossover. It is time for a new car, so I thought maybe a Hyundai Tucson. Mileage is ok but with its tiny gas tank (14.5 gallons) the slightly better mileage still means no greater distance between fill ups. I guess they think they are fooling us into thinking we are paying less by making a mini gas tank.

I can either buy one anyway OR spend some cash and fix my car then wait for the 2012 CR-V in hopes it is better in mileage and not as girly as the current model. I could also fix my car and wait for the 2012 Ford Escape, which is rumored to be a version of the European Ford Kuga (better looking and a hatch that is split, which is a HUGE plus, but the odds are probably nil that the diesel version with great mileage will show up).

So my question is for people to take an educated guess at whether they think the 2012 Ford or CR-V has any hope of better mileage or whether I would be wasting my money fixing my current car and waiting since those two models will be more of the same.

Alternately, I would be happy to settle for the 2011 Tucson if there were a way to install a larger gas tank. Ideally, I want even better mileage than mid to upper 20's, but they don't make cars like that in mini SUV/CUV format (except maybe the clown cars).

Any experienced car enthusiasts who can make a reasonable prediction?