Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    SmoothPebble

I'm looking to replace my aging 2006 Yamaha R1, any leads?

I'm considering buying the 2009 model but I heard Sukuki had the new GSX so I'm kinda lost. Any suggestions? ps, I go to my local track alot so I need something that can handle the twist and curves but is also city friendly. Thanks.
    *sigh* by "aging" I meant by my speedometer says I'm going 60 but found later I was going 76, "aging" as my kickstand won't retract forcing me to lean it against a wall, "aging" by having 2 dentson the left fairing.( do I need to go on!?!) and NO I'm not suddenly big fan of suzuki, it was just a suggestion.
    Btw, the time it takes to fix these problems is outta my time limit as I need to have reached a desicion by next Month or so.
    Btw, the time it takes to fix these problems is outta my time limit as I need to have reached a desicion by next Month or so.

blastabuelliac
    Fix the aging R1 and save yourself some money. Ride it until it you wear it out then modify it a little and use it as your second bike when you want to ride but don't want to scratch your new 2016 Yamaguci R5GXRFSS.

surf_finland
    Go with the 09 R1. There's nothing bad mechanically about the new Gixxer 1000, but it does look really really feminine. Overall performance isn't that different between the two. My advice is you should base you decision on ride comfort.

mcperson2k
    Can handle the twists and curves but is also city friendly? Are we talking about motorcycles still? If your racing your bike at a local track, I am assuming a circuit track, I cant figure out why you would need advice on buying a bike. If your a Yamaha guy, get a Yamaha, If your a Suzuki guy like me, get a gsxr... Suzuki has been the leader for the past 10+ years, so I dont see why you would have a sudden interest in them.

Pete M
    Dude do you even have a bike? The time it would take to fix your problems amounts to about an hour. You say your kickstand doesn't retract so you have to lean it against a wall? That makes no sense. Do you mean it doesn't go down? If it doesn't work right buy a new spring for the kickstand or a new kickstand. It takes literally ten minutes to fix. Your speedometer problem sounds like the bike has been geared down. They make a device called a speedo healer that will fix your problem. Again ten minute fix. The dents must be in the tank because the fairings are plastic. All of these fixes will cost no more than a few hundred bucks. Way better than 12 grand for a new Gixxer. If you're going to go racing buy some race plastics and some good racing tires. (You can switch them back to ride in the city.) An old R1 with good race tires will smoke a new stock gixxer anyday. Use your head. Sounds like you have more money than brains anyway.

arus.geo
    keep the r1. You've yet to see what an R1 can do, and what you're complaining about are easy fixes.

what do you mean time limit ?

1) it takes a couple of new screws and some elbow grease to fix a kick stand.

2) speedo can be fixed in a a three hour check

3) dents on a tank can be easily taken care of and scratches on a fairing, makes it have personality (it means you RIDE your bike instead of being a pansy about it getting scratched).

Why would this take more than a month to fix? Those two issues can be fixed in one day at a motorcycle repair shop.

The Freak Show
    There is just something about this question that sounds like someone who doesn't even own a motorcycle.

Your "aging" R1 has more performance than even the most expert amature rider can use. Magazine test riders talk about having to be careful with modern liter bikes and often get better lap times with 600s.

You go to the track a lot and yet lack the expertise to narrow down your choices? You kinda heard there was a new GSX-R?

Maybe I'm wrong....

So here it is:

You will not be able to tap into any improvements over your '06 unless you are some sort of amazing club racer. If you are, why don't you just ask around the paddock to see what the other guys are riding.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information