I'm from a private catholic high school, so basically my teachers promote abstinence. However, we're all very educated and we do know about safe sex and condoms. I was wondering why public schools don't use this approach. I mean, why only teach about safe sex, that's pretty much telling curious teens that there's a way to experiment "safely".
I've talked to alot of my friends from public school, and they are really uninformed. They think that abstinence is only about not being able to have sex, when there's actually so much more to it. Also, a lot of teens who are 17-18 (which is closing in to adulthood) still don't know that HIV isn't the most common STD, or that birth control can weaken a woman's body against STDS and that they might become infertile if they get abortions. it just surprises me that teens are having sex without knowing all the consequences. i'm not saying that diseases are inevitable, but they should learn about them in depth.
BTW, the friends that i asked model students, so they're no ignorant by choice, its the education.
why haven't the public schools start teaching sex more scientifically instead of only focusing on condoms. I mean, even though i'm from a religious school, religion doesn't really interfere with sex ed.