So i'm a beginer who wants to play rock n roll. I have no clue how to set the settings for rock n roll. And by rock n roll, i dont mean any of that new age grunge/punk/alternative stuff. Motley Crue, Ac/Dc, Slash, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Aerosmith, Izzy Stradlin etc.

I've been asking everyone I know who plays guitar including my private teacher, and so far i have not received a straight answer. I just want to know what I am supposed to do in order to sound remotely close to my inspiration bands so that I'll actually want to play; i'm not going to play an instrument thats making sounds I hate.

So the amp that I have has got these two channels, distortion and clean, which both seem to be way far from what I'm looking for. The distortion channel is, well, it sounds like crap. So I figured that rock n roll must be played with the other channel, however that just sounds like a loud version of acoustic. Do I have the wrong type of amp? maybe wrong settings? which channel should I use then if my amp is the correct type?

I'm lost and really just want to play some music