Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Will a single mom with two boys have trouble teaching them masculinity?

As in, the boy was born without a father in his life, just at home with his mom?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think it will affect them negatively. I know plenty of men that had their fathers in the home with them. Their fathers were drunks or abusive, and so the cycle begins. I know men who were raised by their mothers and they are fine. I know some raised by their mothers who can't even function as adults. I know men who were raised by both parents who are in prison and some who are successful and sweet. My point is, it doesn't matter the situation, what matters in the influence. If you are a positive influence on your sons and teach them right from wrong, your sons will do fine.

Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hebb has it right ... just reverse it!

Establish some good strong male influences in their lives - uncles, grandfathers - people you know and trust.... my brother is wonderful with my boys & will put them in place in a second if they do wrong or don't speak to me or treat me as they should ... not sure what it is but he does it in a way that they hear 100% - he says it how it is with them and will not take their BS on anything (needless to say I appreciate my brother more then words can convey!)

Encourage them to be involved in team sports, go camping, make a mess and rough and tumble .

A good book that might give you some suggestions to consider - 'Raising Boys' by Steve Biddulph

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    First off, single parents do a good job raising their children most of the time either sex parent.

A child needs ideally both parents to get the right signals, on how a woman behaves with a man and the other way round, that said, a child in a single parent family will get those signals from male role models in his life, uncles, male friends of the family, even parents of his friends, and male daycare workers (cannot think of the politically correct name for them) even I suppose from TV (sometimes) so unless the parent has nothing to do with men then he will be able to pick it up.

that actual term you use is a little vague "masculinity" do you mean the whole package in being masculine/male or just the Bruce Willis rough tough idea.

RR

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No more than a single dad with two girls. I got to where I could do two pony tails in less than seven minutes to get them off to school and I learned how to do three kinds of French braid, internal, external and fish-scale. I also made it a point to expose them to as many good quality feminine influences as possible. They turned out just fine.
    I had a great time, hopefully you will too.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Even though some people say that not having a father figure present in the household does not have an immense impact on children, i think that it definitely does. Personally, I believe that if a single mother brings up male children, then the child will lack masculinity as they have no role model to guide them and tell them how to act in case of a fight etc.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Not really. I suppose mom can kind of act like a tom boy. Maybe taking them to sports where there are a lot of men so they could have some examples by watching them. Since it's two boys they won't feel left out like they would if it was mom, a sister and him. Eventually they'll get male friends, teachers etc.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No more than a single dad with two girls. I got to where I could do two pony tails in less than seven minutes to get them off to school and I learned how to do three kinds of French braid, internal, external and fish-scale. I also made it a point to expose them to as many good quality feminine influences as possible. They turned out just fine.
    I had a great time, hopefully you will too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information