Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Nokia needs to fix the ram issue..

is the ram issue bad on the n80 ??

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Other than which, they have a virtual S60 monopoly - so where else are you gunna go ?
    WM ?
    Er ... don't think so.
    Dumb-phone ?
    After S60 ?
    Not happening.
    I don't really know why SE, Moto and Sammy aren't bothered with the S60 sector - for, each of them have only token offerings.
    It can't be the cost of S60 implementation - they already have that overhead.
    Maybe they figure that there's only (profitable) room for one real S60 player in the market - and that the benefits of muscling into Nokia territory are outweighed by the costs.
    It's not like there's a real downside to being in the S60 market - like it represents a liability to the brand or something ... quite the contrary, I would imagine.
    Maybe they've figured that providing real S60 competition to Nokia would result in a profitless price-war, which is why none of them have ever made any serious inroads.
    But only healthy competition will keep Nokia evolutionarily competitive.
    At the moment, it's suffering a certain degree of in-built, genetic degeneracy that allows it to maximise on the marketing potential of keeping customers hooked with only-just-adequate product - think battery-life, build quality, ergonomics, etc, etc.
    For as long as Nokia retains its monopoly, it will continue to abuse/capitalise on it.
    Think about it - when was the last time you heard widespread complaints about SE, Sammy or Moto battery-life, etc ?
    Competition you see, means competitive product and pricing.
    If SE put its mind to it, it could wipe the floor clean with Nokia's current line-up - the technology's there, all that would be required is the will and the development.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would just like to point out that I didn't buy the N95 and lack of RAM was the single most important reason why I decided not to spend money on it. So in at least one case (mine), this brilliant conspiratorial Nokia marketing plan that you allege here rather backfired on them I would say.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you're a power user, yes.

Seriously, I held a prototype of this phone last October. Sure it wasn't very stable then, but they took a good 6 months to get this phone out and now I expect it to have such major issues resolved with shipping firmware.

If it's any consolation, I think the shipping firmware was somewhat rushed as the sheer difference in multimedia key response time between the old and new firmware is amazing. Anyway, I guess they might be catering those of us who enjoy seeing improvements with new firmware. If the shipping firmware is perfect, then they couldn't make us happy with improvements.

Yeah, if SE could do it then why don't they? They seem to keep sticking with those UIQ P series machines that never seem to take except in certain circles. You would expect a major Japanese firm with decades of designing consumer electronics and miniaturization to make something better than Nokia, but they never seem to do.

I find it interesting that a company in Finland that mainly provides cellular network infrastructure always has the premier mobile device out at any given time. That's showing the traditional Japanese and new Korean firms how it's done.

For all it's faults, the capabilities of the N95 are unparalleled for it's size and weight.

I think the ram issue is a problem, i think nokia shouldve given the n95 the flagship phone more ram, but that aside, those in here say that they will switch to wm/6, go right ahead u will get inferior web browsing, the problem with nokia is they give u the best web browsing, the best gallery, the best device for displaying graphics, similar to a mac vs a pc, but then they lowball u on the ram, not sure what i would want, all i know is when i went over to the windows phone, 8525,treo 750 and blackjack, maybe it handled the ram issue better, cant really say because certain pages wouldnt even load on them, so i didnt get a low ram messge i just never got the page, they arent as nice or pretty, they have 2mp cameras so they arent processing 1mb pictures and loading 30, 40, or 100 of them at a time. You wanna save ram on the n95 get the resco photo veiwer not as nice less ram hungry, use opera again not as nice but less ram hungry, overall its an awesome phone!!!!

Bravo. I commend you. The N95 is still a phone and works well plus offers a nice commputing experience. I'm confident that a firmware release will clear up some stuff. I think we are going to wait for a couple months until the firmware is truly stable. I learned from my 6682, n80, e50, n80 again (and now realising the difference a couple months mature firmware makes) and have come to the conclusion that nokia rushes products to be first-to-market, and thats that. We put up with it b/c we are cell geeks and...well we are geeks....we tinker with the phone. after a few firmware revisions is when the true nature of the device is realized.

would you say it is bad as a 6680 that is what i currently use and i am planning to upgrade to the n80 internet edition. ??

I will say that the n80 is an improvement. The difference was marginal when it comes to UI, but since the n80 is so much more advanced...it works very well for me.

In everyday use (not playing with my new toy 24/7) I find it almost as stable as dumb-fone. I don't multitask like i do on my computer (or old 9300 which i forgot to mention in my previous post) but rather multi task as if it were (is) a phone. Here is what I do...and I will attest that I could not do it with my 6682:
    1.Record lecture while also typing notes.
    2.browse wap hofo with music in background
    3.look up weather, news, and stocks (all seperate apps)
    4.play some splinter cell or tetris while listening to music and d/l bittorent or gnutella files in the background via wi-fi.

I can generally do the above mentioned tasks (each scentence is the load of tasks done at a specific time ...not the whole thing at once) and not have too many problems. The RAM issue is prevailant in the web browser which I think is a result of not fully polished code.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information