Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Moved To D.c. Area. Need To Get Phone. Need Advice.

Hey guys,

I recently (jsut 2 days ago) moved to Northern VA/D.C area in the U.S from Toronto, Canada. I will living in Northern VA (Loudon County) but working in D.C.
    I wanted to get a GSM phone, I had CDMA in Toronto (TELUS) and dont want one again. I searched and read some threads and found out that both CINGULAR and T-MOBILE provide GSM service.

I am looking for a plan that gives me evening and weekends free (i know, only during certain times) and also long distance to Canada for free (if possible) or for a cheap rate. Also I would a good amount of day time minutes. Something in the range of lets say 700 (if roll over is availalble, then thats great too).

I dont want to pay anything over $60 a month for a plan like this. Is this possible?

Also what phone do you recommend. I have searched but would really like opinions based on the criteria I ahve given.

I like the RAZR V3i but dont know if either of these cell phone companies sell this phone in the D.C. Area.
    Any other suggestions is greatly apprieciated. PLEASE POST SUGGESTIONS. NEED A PLAN AND PHONE SOON.

Thanks guys...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Start by reviewing Cingular's plans (they are bigger and they do rollover) and get a free phone. The V3i is not out in North America yet so you'll need to buy an unlocked one from online somewhere (they run about $375). If you don't mind a bar phone, the SLVR L7 is very nice (except it has a VGA camera) and runs $290. It comes with iTunes as well.

Tango Uniform

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks bro..thanks for the advice.
    some people were saying the Cingular drops alot of their calls...

Cingular sucks in DC....and they, like Verizon, are overpriced. Ask yourself what you can pay and what you need as far as coverage goes and we'll go from there.

Muggs, I cannot comment on signal reception in D.C. as it has been a long time since I've been to Disneyland on the Potomac.

Tango Uniform

Not all SLVR's come with iTunes

The L7 I tried out had it. Perhaps they got smart and dumped Apple since then(http://engadget.com/2006/01/04/motorola-slvr-with-itunes-coming-soon-from-cingular/).

Tango Uniform

Crap...
    but I want to get GSM. So its only T-moblie and Cingular...which one??
    I need a plan that has great Long distance converage to Canada...and evening and weekends free..
    TIA

Contact both carriers and find out what they have to offer. It's been my experience that the people running the mall kiosks are older than their IQ. I recommend you surf their websites and call their customer service numbers.

Tango Uniform

The only carrier with a plan with long distance free to Canada does not have unlimited nights and weekends and is with Cingular and is prohibitively expensive....why not use VOIP like Vonage for calling Canada (I am Canadian too....well quebecois ;-) and that's what I do.....calling Canada is almost as bad as calling the States from Canada is.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information