Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nokia E50 or N75, which would you get?

I have a difficult choice: buy the E50 now or wait for the N75 to be released... Both are S60 3rd v9.1, and each has its own set of pluses and minuses.... What would you do?

E50

Pros

Available now / OEM Symbian OS (not Cingular's) / BATTERY LIFE 6.5+ hours talk time / Candybar - I loved my 6230

Cons

Non-3G / Smaller display than N75 / Cingular certified apps won't work (I use the weather one) / Warranty (do I get a Nokia warranty if I buy one in the USA?)

N75

Pros

Bigger Display / 3G / Cingular warranty / Premier pricing

Cons

Battery life (awful 2 hours talk time in 3G, and I doubt Cingular will allow a switch between the two / Not out yet / Did I mention horrible battery life? / When will it REALLY be released, if at all? We all know the Nokia/Cingular issues lately... / Cingular branded (usually as buggy as a hornet's nest)

So, which would you get, and why? I really like the E50's battery life (best Nokia I've seen), right-now availability and candy-bar design. I really like the N75's small flip design, big display and 3G (I have a CU500 now), but that battery life scares me...

Let's hear from the experts at HoFo!

Very good question, I'm wondering this myself.

I think I'm going to stick with my E50 purely because of its size and its solidity. I'm not sure why you would care that the cingular certified apps won't work, since there is a plethora of apps out there that do the same thing, if not better.

Don't forget, the 3G on the N75 is only going to be 384kbps (correct me if i'm wrong), and the EDGE on the E50 already does 250kbps-ish. Not that big of a difference. For me, I'm probably switching to T-mobile, so 3G speeds are a moot point.

Something also to consider is that when you get the N75, it will be a cingular supported device subject to XBM/warranty replacement should you need it.

Which would I get? I'm gonna get the N75 (maybe) :P

I'd be happy with the E50's speed. I use Google Maps a lot, but my phone in EDGE works fine with it. Yes, it's only UMTS-speed, and not HSDPA. Something about cost and time-to-market with Cingular.

I'm just scared I'd get an E50 that breaks and then I'm out a chunk of change... and I don't know a good retailer to buy one online... Any ideas?

Alot of the importers are now offering warranty's, I've noticed. I bought my N73 from hi-mobile and would highly (no pun intended) suggest them. Their customer service was top-notch. I'm hearing that the N75 might be closer to Jan-Feb, so you might wanna snag the E50 now, specially as cheap as you can get them, and then sell it for the N75 when that comes out.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you use 3G? I have the n73 but have 3G turned off and just use normal GSM.

It saves battery too.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's the Cingular one Rcadden. Isn't it possible that we can see the Nokia (via ebay) ones in Nov?

Anything's possible. It's liklihood that kills you.

Yes, I use 3G. the CU500 gets great speed with it, but it isn't shabby at all with EDGE either. If the E50 was as fast as my CU500 with it's EDGE data, I wouldn't mind at all. I just use it for the little things anyway, not tethering... Besides, being used to HSDPA on my CU500, the N75 is probably going to feel about the same as the E50 anyway.... I do notice that MMS and even SMS send much faster on 3G, but oh well. I also notice that tigerdirect.com has this phone for a good price with a return policy, 30 day warranty, and then a year manufacturer (I think). I am going to try them and the one that was mentioned above if I decide to get this phone. Thanks for the replies!

Well, I ordered the E50. I decided that I can: send it back within 30 days if I hate it or, keep it until the N75 comes out and then see which I want. If I want the N75, I'll sell the E50.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information