Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

GSM phone to use internationally

I'm looking for a good GSM phone that can be used internationally (Thailand, to be specific). Has anyone used one that they're happy with? I'm not familiar with how phones work internationally, but you would just have to buy a SIM card and pop it in, right?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

You would have to get an unlocked phone that runs on the frequencies in Thailand, i.e. 900 and 1800. That rules out going into Cingular and getting something (I know in theory they unlock their phones, but...). If you want to be on the safe side, you should get a quad band phone, such as most of the recent mid to high end, motos and a few of the SEs and Nokias. It all depends on what features you want and which form factor you prefer.

Well I'd prefer a flip phone. The features can be basic phone functions and maybe a camera since that seems to be the standard on most phones these days. Silly question, but where would I be able to find the frequencies in Thailand? I was thinking of purchasing the phone through eBay, once I found a model I wanted - so I would have to make sure that it's listed as unlocked then?

http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_th.shtml

But the rule of thumb is simple: if it is outside the Americas, the frequencies used are 900/1800, in some cases only 900 (usually in developing countries). GSM phones come in several varities:

1. Dual-band, either as 900/1800 or 850/1900. The former would work all over Europe, Asia, and Africa but not at all in the US. The latter the other way around.

2. Tri-bands. These are either 850/1800/1900 (works all over the US, and most of Western Europe and some other places) or 900/1800/1900 (work all over Europe/Asia and Africa, but may have more limited service in the US).

3. Quad-band. Work on 850/900/1800/1900. As long as you are near a tower, your set.

Yes, make sure the ebay phone is unlocked. YOu can also get phones that would work from dealers such as mobilebee.com.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information